• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 roller rockers, forged pistons

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice looking stuff:D

There is some interesting materiel for further study.

Noticed there is no reference to the 2.8 heads just the 3.8

alsalp

Donation Time
If you through the 4.0 roller rocker pictures under "instructions", (there's about 3 pictures), you''ll notice they eliminate the shaft style rockers.

There is a plate that converts them to "pedestal" type like a GM style.

This alows each rocker to be canted and not require an offset tip.

At $800 + that seems out of most budgets.

What I wonder is one could find an existing common roller rocker set with the right ratio and create a mounting plate to adapt it.

chevy v8 sets can be had for $150 so who knows

tigretr

Donation Time
A picture is worth a thousand words. Looking at the junk yard motor that they mounted their rockers into and then took a picture of their product, makes me wonder if they have ever actually tried to run them themselves. Seems to me that if you were going to trust this company, you would want to see the parts you are buying in a motor that they probably actually ran in. Or at a minimum could run in. At first glance, I would be skeptical! Not to mention, you might look at spring rates of your springs if you are going to go from 1.5:1 to 1.8:1. That valve will likely have a lot more velocity when it gets flung open!

Food for thought!

Brian

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
When the stock rockers are good to 7K, why buy these expensive rockers? I don´t know anyone who is racing his V6 Alpine, to need to rev to 8K. It is a waste of money to spend for something not needed. If you achieve a gain of between 3-5 hp. from the less friction, you´ll be lucky. To really take advantage of the extra revs you can achieve, you´ll need a pretty radical cam so it will breathe up top, which means it will be hard to drive on the street.

I know it sounds sexy to say you have roller rockers, but are you ready to spend that much just to be able to say that?

alsalp

Donation Time
Brian,

You make valid points. I did see that the engine was a junk mock up but was more interested in the concept of how they were arranged on the plate instead of the shaft.

It appears they his products have run on other V6's and that the Cologne family hasn't been a big market.

My point is that it is an interesting idea of moving away from the shaft mount and making a plate to allow other more common rockers a lot cheaper.

It doesn't seam outrageous to me with all the engines out there that the proper size could be found. I'll bet that the 1.8 is cheaper than the smaller ones because he has already had them for another application

I agree 1.8 is ridiculous

alsalp

Donation Time
These guys don't list them but can make a set for $450 any ratio you want for those out there who want to go racing or rev to 7k or adjust the ratio or are building a blueprinted engine.
FYI

gordonra

Donation Time
If you look really close at the photo, they aren't even installed.

There is no obvious way the plate could be bolted to the head because the plate doesn't have holes where the towers are located in a stock setup. In addition, the push rods aren't in place... they are off to one side.

He he does indicates that special lifters and push rods are required to get oil up there.

Yes, they look pretty.

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
They are pretty, but totally useless. The stock valvetrain will safely go to 7K and beyond, so why spend all that money for no gain. You can´t even see them when the engine is assembled, so you can´t show them off.

The idea sounds sexy, but it´s not necessary. Spend your money where it will do you some good, like porting and polishing wth larger valves. That alone (on a dyno tuned engine) is worth at least 60 hp.

You can go to all that expense and trouble to be able to say you have roller rockers, but if you get another 5 hp from them, you´d be lucky.

alsalp

Donation Time
If you look really close at the photo, they aren't even installed.

There is no obvious way the plate could be bolted to the head because the plate doesn't have holes where the towers are located in a stock setup. In addition, the push rods aren't in place... they are off to one side.

He he does indicates that special lifters and push rods are required to get oil up there.

Yes, they look pretty.

Sorry, I meant THESE GUYS: (not the one with the grungy v6 mockup) :

http://www.harlandsharp.com/

alsalp

Donation Time
They are pretty, but totally useless. The stock valvetrain will safely go to 7K and beyond, so why spend all that money for no gain. You can´t even see them when the engine is assembled, so you can´t show them off.

The idea sounds sexy, but it´s not necessary. Spend your money where it will do you some good, like porting and polishing wth larger valves. That alone (on a dyno tuned engine) is worth at least 60 hp.

You can go to all that expense and trouble to be able to say you have roller rockers, but if you get another 5 hp from them, you´d be lucky.

Question: Why is every OEM going to roller rockers then?

alsalp

Donation Time

Another question: how much are people spending on the group buy for aluminum valve covers or other bling that add absolutely 0 hp?

For that matter why mess with an old engine with almost no speed equipment and required custom machining to build the horse power at all

alot of easier and cheaper ways to get 200+ hp

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Still say they looks nice and function as well....

If you have the desire and the money to utilized these rockers then do so!

As mentioned ..... the group buy on valve covers do little if any thing other than dress up an engine, but, that is perhaps a guy's-thing. Like the rockers again a guy's thing.

Alsap, I think you opened this post with a valid question? HAS any body.....?

Thanks for the last site you posted....

DanR

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Not for the Alpine. You can put engines with more than 200 hp in one. but it won´t be cheaper nor easier.

The factories have gone to roller rockers for better mileage. They face stringent government regs.

Adding outside bling is visible, rockers are not, plus they don´t add anything to the 2.8 V6 except for more cost. I have raced my V6 Alpines for years, shifting at 7K all the time, without any problems.

If someone wants to be able to say he has roller rockers on his engine, I say go for it. But it is pointless, as far as practicality goes.

Another question: how much are people spending on the group buy for aluminum valve covers or other bling that add absolutely 0 hp?

For that matter why mess with an old engine with almost no speed equipment and required custom machining to build the horse power at all

alot of easier and cheaper ways to get 200+ hp

alsalp

Donation Time
Not for the Alpine. You can put engines with more than 200 hp in one. but it won´t be cheaper nor easier.

The factories have gone to roller rockers for better mileage. They face stringent government regs.

Adding outside bling is visible, rockers are not, plus they don´t add anything to the 2.8 V6 except for more cost. I have raced my V6 Alpines for years, shifting at 7K all the time, without any problems.

If someone wants to be able to say he has roller rockers on his engine, I say go for it. But it is pointless, as far as practicality goes.

Ohhhh...so old orphaned British cars with an obsolete German engine is supposed to be practical.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Just ask the man who owns one. There are plenty of them on this forum. You don´t need to take my word for it.

I´m not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to inform the guys that don´t know the facts, so they don´t make an expensive mistake. Like I said, if you want roller rockers, go for it. You won´t be happy until you have them.

alsalp

Donation Time
I've owned my Alpine for 25 years and did the V6/T5 swap 20 years ago with out any kits years before I found this forum.

I'm just doing research on what's available to do a performance version.

I started this post get a YES/NO answer to see if anyone used a product I found.

At NO TIME did I ask for an opinion on the merits of the product.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Buit you got one, because it can adversly affect others. That is why I opined. Sorry it offended you.

QUOTE=alsalp;165062]I've owned my Alpine for 25 years and did the V6/T5 swap 20 years ago with out any kits years before I found this forum.

I'm just doing research on what's available to do a performance version.

I started this post get a YES/NO answer to see if anyone used a product I found.

At NO TIME did I ask for an opinion on the merits of the product.[/QUOTE]

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I've owned my Alpine for 25 years and did the V6/T5 swap 20 years ago with out any kits years before I found this forum.

I'm just doing research on what's available to do a performance version

We did our 62 in 1979
One reliable car. Drove it every where . Lots of miles before it got tired
And we went to the Ford Racing 302.
It's your car so you can do whatever you want. I'm thinking you know enough about performance options. There was some great books re the 2.8 making HP
You may want to see about a good speed shop re machining

alsalp

Donation Time
The point is I never gave an opinion nor requested one on whether it was worth it.

I asked if anyone used these products.

Apparently not.