• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

steering gear box unit "F" type

daniel luna

Donation Time
Hello every one, my problem started when I replaced the tie rods on the drivers side any how all things came to a problem that i can not fix so i took the sunbeam alpine SSII to get it alignined but the guy that so call did this, said that my gear box was wacked out of center so, I am asking if I can get this box reset so that is centerd back, if so where do i find information?

Thank you in advance!
Sincerely yours.
Dan N Luna:confused:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Out of whack?

What is meant by that comment?

Did you have a wreck?

DanR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tell him to count the steering wheel turns from lock to lock. Count 1/2 of those turns from lock. That should center the box and he should proceed from there. Perhaps the steering arm has been removed from the steering box and reassembled out of register. I suppose that is possible. If so, the above procedure would detect the problem

If these are not the problem, we will need much more explanation. Maybe even a written report you can post.

Bill

Last edited:

daniel luna

Donation Time
Steering box

Thanks for the reply, well no accident, just needed new tires after a few day I noticed that it was the drivers side tire that was like pitched out and it was dragging, so I got the car up on towers and found a tie rod end damaged so it was so difficult to get off that I lost my markings, any way I got the tire to roll straight but my steering got to tight going to the left but the right side is good, so going back to what this person told me, he said that my steering gear box got out of being centered so it has the same turning form left to right

daniel luna

Donation Time
Steering box

Thanks for the reply, well no accident, just needed new tires after a few day I noticed that it was the drivers side tire that was like pitched out and it was dragging, so I got the car up on towers and found a tie rod end damaged so it was so difficult to get off that I lost my markings, any way I got the tire to roll straight but my steering got to tight going to the left but the right side is good, so going back to what this person told me, he said that my steering gear box got out of being centered so it has the same turning form left to right

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

Go through the turns lock to lock routine that I described, lock the steering wheel in place, then adjust the toe, using the tie rod adjustment. The steering should then be perfect.

Oh yes - take it to a shop that has at least a rudimentary idea of how to align a car. This is alignment kindergarten stuff. Or maybe the guy is trying to rip you off. But no matter, find a new shop.

Bill

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
steering box

My steering box is on the bench and disassembled so I just checked the indexing of the pitman arm. It can only be installed in four places and the three wrong ones would prevent the box being put on the car, so that rules out indexing being the source of your problem.
Back to centering or adjusting the tie rod ends.
I second Bills recommendation to find a new alignment shop. Preferentially one with a white haired tech/mechanic.(is that bias?) .

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Now how could that be ....bias?

I second Bills recommendation to find a new alignment shop. Preferentially one with a white haired tech/mechanic.(is that bias?) .

Couldn't be bias! Only expert advice:D

DanR

daniel luna

Donation Time
F Unit

thanks guys I am going to do as told by the think tank, and in my personal experiance I have never seen any thing like the guy at that place said and any how he did get me for $45:00 dollars but will never going back to that place and if any one asks about it will tell it like it is rip off!:)