• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear seal on release

mikefuller2

Donation Time
I wanted to see if anyone could help me out a little. I have been rebuilding 1600 alpine IV and I pulled the transmission to put the engine back in it. I wanted to change out the real seal on the transmission and I can not get it out. The Manuel is not really clear to me.

I have got the clip out however I have had no luck pullin it out. It seems like it is locked on. I wanted to know if I need to heat it up or use a gear pulley?

The rubber was messed up and leaking so I need to get it out. It is a 4 speed synco transmission.

Please any help would really be apreciated

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
I just changed the one on the box I got. It was a little hard to get out but I used attire iron to slowly go round prying a little at a time, it took about 20 Min but it came out, and yes it was destroyed by the time it came out.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
removing transmission seal

Using a slide hammer at four or five points around the circle and using finesse rather than brute force has always worked for me. Once you get an eighth inch of movement the rest is easy but if its really stubborn it may take more holes (points of attack)!

mikefuller2

Donation Time
real seal

Thanks for the suggestions. it sound I am on the right track. I also saw an older post where someone took the dent puller and slowly worked it out.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
Rear seal

can anyone help me on some info. My alpine number is 94102430 which shows a different real seal then came out of my transmission. I also noticed my transmission has 2 brass/copper bushings instead of 1. so I think my transmission is the earlier syncro transmission non 1st gear which require a different rear seal.

can anyone conform this before I order it?

thanks for any help

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
seal

it was probably part of the seal and will not present a problem. I have some older seals that have the metal on the outside but the newer ones I have bought look to be rubber only but you'll find the rubber covers the metal. what style of seal do you have?

mikefuller2

Donation Time
seal

I got the new one from Rick and it is model tr 46. has a metal back and the rest is rubber. Since I have it out of the car I want to make sure it will work

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looking at the tranny exploded views in WSM 145 and WSM 124, it seems pretty clear that if your tailshaft housing has two bushings it is almost surely a non syncro first gear tranny, even though your VIN number indicates an later tranny. Interesting to note the WSM 124 indicates that a circlip holding the rear seal, as you found on your car, was only fitted to late SIVs, but still non syncro first. So it appears to me that the tr46 you got from Rick seems correct. Does it not look like it will fit?

Tom

mikefuller2

Donation Time
Rear seal

Tom

It looks like it will fit. My transmission is a 10 spline and has the 7 1/2 inch pressure plate and clutch. This car has had a lot of weird combine nation of parts. It was made in January I believe before the new V designed. I hope if it fits I will ge good

65beam

Donation Time
seal

going by your VIN number the car had a full syncro trans in it. the seal you have fits non syncro trans from series 1 thru series 4 and also full syncro trans used in series 4 's. the TR56 seal fits series 5 trans only. check the date code on the side of the transmission case.