• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpines and Parts on Tulsa OK Craigslist

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The tracktion bars look alot like the panhard rod for a Tiger??? :confused:

Not at all. Traction bars are fitted fore and aft. The stock panhard rod attached side-to-side, from one end of the axle housing across to a point on the frame (which was prone to ripping loose). The attachment points were reversed on Mk IIs.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Old News

Those of us that were active with the Sunbeam Alpines back in Oklahoma think this may be part of Chester Bailey's stash of Sunbeams. Since I moved to Florida I don't have a way of investigating to find out what happened or why they are on CL. Chester had a lot of parts, we purchased all the hard to find pieces I needed to restore my Series IV back in 2003 from Chester then living in Hulbert, OK.

Donna
:D

DavidHodges11

Donation Time
Nope these used to belong to Leland Dodd he had them on land in Checotah he is in jail and his wife sold the land. He had tons of sunbeams including a 289 British racing green tiger

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
No, this is Bailys old stash, purchased by Rick Trenk and Brother. He does sell parts if anyone is looking for something. And he is reasonable.

bing

Donation Time
I spoke with him Sunday. He was very cordial, and gave me names and phone numbers of people with parts for sale. I was searching (still am) for a jack hand wrench. He is very knowledgeable regarding Sunbeams.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
David:

I met Leland Dodd in OKC when I was first getting into Sunbeams back in early 1979. In fact, he introduced me to a guy who lived down the street from him who had a Tiger, a Tiger that I ended up buying in October of '79. It wasn't but a couple of years or so later that I heard that Leland had gone to prison. I don't know how many Alpines Leland had at the time he went away, but it was a lot. I do know that he had a Forest Green Tiger MkII and an orange Tiger MkII; he may have had more than that, too.

There was also a guy in Norman, OK by the name of Gerald Moorehead who owned multiple Alpines (no Tigers). He was a retired Air Force Lt. Col. and he owned the old "South Base" theater building just south of the University of Oklahoma campus (this was an old WWII Naval training center area, which I always thought was kind of weird, since Oklahoma is land-locked...). Anyway, Gerald was pretty well up in years when I met him and was considered to be the quintessential "cantankerous old man" when it came to dealing with him. However, I got to know him pretty well and was able to buy a few things from him for my Sunbeams. If memory serves, he passed away in the mid-to late-80's.

It has always been my understanding that Chester Bailey came onto the Sunbeam scene after that when he was able to procure most, if not all, of Leland's and Gerald's Sunbeam collections.

I could be wrong it was 28 years ago now lol or he could have wound up with them after he went away

Last edited:

DavidHodges11

Donation Time
Leland had 5 tigers that I know of kept them in a storage. and he had a ton of alpine on his land. he went to prison the last time in 1989 first person in Oklahoma to get the 3 strikes rule. and he had 8 or 9 rapier.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I Should have read this earlier....

LWOP - OK Law. What an injustice for this man!

No I'm not a "smoker-of-Pot".

But this seems a bit too harsh for a non violent person, especially if repentant.

DanR