• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Road America - Elkhart Lake July 17-20

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Anyone in Sunbeam land plan on attending the The Hawk vintage car racing weekend at Road America later this month? I'm attending for the first time and bringing one of my sons along. If I can corral a trailer, I may bring the Tiger, too.

Randy Z.
Duluth, MN

racerguy99

Donation Time
Wow, that's a pretty good (long) tow for you. It's worth it though. Great track, but I didn't go.:(

Last edited:

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
RA recap

Wow! What a great weekend and a great venue. We had great weather and over 300 historic racing vehicles in 12 groups.

Around the track I saw 1 Alpine and 3 Tigers (in addition to mine). Only one red Tiger was racing; #09 by Charles Glapinski. John Daniels was to have had his green Tiger on the track but apparently had engine issues and brought his bugeye Sprite, instead, to race.

Randy Z.
Duluth, MN

Attachments

• RA 2014 Racing #09 Tiger in paddock C.JPG
    RA 2014 Racing #09 Tiger in paddock C.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 33
  • RA 2014 Racing #09 Tiger in paddock.JPG
    RA 2014 Racing #09 Tiger in paddock.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 36
  • RA 2014 Racing #09 Tiger Turn 1 B.jpg
    RA 2014 Racing #09 Tiger Turn 1 B.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00161.jpg
    DSC00161.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Road America 2015- The Hawk Vintage Racing

I had such a good time last year I'm attending again. Will bring my youngest son along with the Tiger. It will be held July 16-19.

Randy Z.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Randy

I posted yesterday in the general discussion area that I will be at Elkhart Lake this year.

I will drive my Tiger and will be part of the 356 Enterprises pit crew.

356 Porsches prepared and raced by Vic and Barb Skirmants. Much more to the story - I will share if I get to see you. Pete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 13

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
My wife and I made the trek to Road America last summer when we travelled from Oklahoma to Madison, WI to visit my sister and her family. The facility is really top-notch and the people there were very friendly and let us have the run of the place in our car (no on-track action, however). Once we loaded up on Road America goodies, we drove on into the town of Elkhart Lake. What a beautiful little town with such a full and significant racing history!! We were able to obtain maps of the original street circuits and, using them, we were able to drive the 1950-52 circuit (the later circuit has had a section removed that runs right by the lake that is no longer a public road, making it impossible to drive). The early circuit is marked all along the way with historical markers, telling the name of the turn and what happened there.

If you're a historic racing buff and have never visited Elkhart Lake and Road America, you don't know what you're missing. We plan on going back up there to attend the vintage races in the next few years.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Andy

It is an historical and beautiful place. We lived about 8 miles from Road America for nearly 20 years. I have been on tech crews at various times and have attended many races there. I am looking forward to a few days there at the end of the week.

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Another Fun but Challenging Year!

What a difference a year makes. Last year--my first time to the Hawk Vintage Races--we enjoyed phenomenal weather. This year not so much.

Drove through 4 1/2 hours of rain on Thursday, set up camp in a drizzle, endured a couple more storms early Friday am and then found ourselves on the losing end of strong winds Saturday morning when a thunderstorm descended and laid waste to canopies and tents alike, including ours. But, and this is a big BUT, the races continued to be phenomenal and we were blessed with periods of sunshine and blue sky.

The treat for us this year was to watch John Daniels campaign his green Tiger #13 and complete some very respectable laps within an uneven grouping. I've attached a couple of shots of John approaching Turn 8 and then heading into the Carousel. Charles Glapinski also ran his red #09 Tiger.

Paul, I'm sorry to have missed you and thanks for leaving your card in my Tiger. I didn't see your message about being with the 356 Enterprise group prior to departure; I would have looked for you in the paddock area. As it was, we had a nice visit with John Daniels and his crew.

Randy Z.

Attachments

• 1-1-DSC00725.JPG
    1-1-DSC00725.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 1-1-DSC00726.JPG
    1-1-DSC00726.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 19

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
The Hawk Vintage Races at Road America 2016

Anyone planning to attend the Hawk at Road America in July this year? I'll be there with my oldest son and the Tiger. Camping again and hoping for better weather than last year...

Randy Z.
River Falls, WI

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Anyone planning to attend the Hawk at Road America in July this year? I'll be there with my oldest son and the Tiger. Camping again and hoping for better weather than last year...

Randy Z.
River Falls, WI

I hope to make it again this year. Plans are still in a state of flux - will update when I know for sure. P

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Road America July 2016

I hope to make it again this year. Plans are still in a state of flux - will update when I know for sure. P

Hope you can make it, Paul. Looks like Dan Walters & company may bring a couple of Tigers from the West Coast to participate in the weekend events. Would be nice to see a few more Sunbeams on the track :).

Randy Z.