• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carpet door sill cardboard pieces

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, guys:

I've run into an interesting situation with my Tiger Mk1A. I've just discovered that there are supposed to be some kind of cardboard door sill pieces that glue onto the sills somehow to help smooth out the carpet (I guess). I've messed with Sunbeams for years now and have never seen any of these (or it's been too long ago and I just don't remember). Can anyone shed some light on what these look like and how they attach? Even better, can someone post some pics of the pieces so I could make my own?

Thanks much for any help...

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
When I restored the Alpine I replaced them with thin aluminium sheet pop-rivetted in place. Better than card which I assume was used to save cost.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Tony:

My research into this topic found an old posting of yours on the Alpine forum where you mentioned doing that. The problem for me, however, is that I have no idea what these pieces look like and where they attach to the car in the first place. At this point, it really doesn't matter what they're made out of...I just need to see what they look like and how they attach before I can come up with something.

65beam

Donation Time
cardboard

sunbeam specialties used to supply these with their carpet kits so he may have some cut to the right profile. Martha also could make them. they're typical board used by upholstery shops. they run from the front of the inner sill where the sill meets the inner fender back to the parking brake area. they cover the wiring so it doesn't show a bulge in the carpet and does give a smoother look. they should be glued to hold them in place. the top sets at the top of the sill and the bottom follows the contour of the floor. I have a couple sets either in the shop or one of the other garages. i'll see if I can find them and send you a photo.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
I would certainly appreciate some pics of the cardboard pieces, Bob. Do the tops of the covers extend all the way under the door sill plates or do they just glue to the upper sides of the sills? I can't believe that I've never run across any of these in any of the Sunbeams I've owned. Of course, I could have just forgotten about them as well (as much as I hate to admit it, a little age may be creeping in...).

Thanks for the assistance,