• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

One more Miata motor install

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
After 36 years of running a Datsun A14 & trans in my Ser II it is time to go modern. After reading the threads by lobo1625, Msmoorenburg and Robertf on installing a 1.6 Miata motor & trans I have decided to do it. The Datsun running gear has been great and looked the part, but it's time for modern EFI, 5 speed and more power. I pick-up a 1.6 with 5 speed and all the stock wiring. I have the wiring done, and the motor sounds good. My plan is to get all the parts together and then install it this summer. My car is a daily driver, so I don't want it down for long. If anyone is thinking about doing this I have been documenting everything, including the wiring.
Here is the Datsun
DSCN3783-L.jpg

The day I picked-up the 1.6
RIMG0500-L.jpg

RIMG0504-L.jpg

How it sits today, yes it starts up and runs on the sub frame.
RIMG0579-L.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is the harness when I started.
RIMG0507-L.jpg

All cleaned up.
RIMG0555-L.jpg

I added a "check engine light" to the diagnostic port.
RIMG0571-L.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I changed the by-pass line that goes from the water pump to the heater core, now it goes from the water pump to the back of the head.
All done and powder coated.
RIMG0572-L.jpg

RIMG0580-L.jpg

Next thing to do is replace the timing belt, water pump, clutch and the small rubber plug on the back of the head.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I got the fuel pump adapter done today and ready to weld into my tank. This will mount the stock Miata fuel pump and sender into the Sunbeam fuel tank.
RIMG0581-L.jpg

RIMG0002-L.jpg

I used short set screws and welded them in to cap the ends.
RIMG0003-L.jpg

RIMG0004-L.jpg

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
That looks like a really tidy install. Cleaner than a factory job. I see modern hot rod influence there. Congratulations.:D

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you guys
I order new Letters from Rick at SS. I like the aluminum and chrome look, I hope when I am done welding the Mazda in it will match. If not I think I will powder coat it silver.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I got the motor & trans mocked-up today, if I have time tomorrow I plan on welding up the mounts. I did remove the stock mounts off the cross-member this gives me more room for the new mounts.
RIMG0030-L.jpg

RIMG0027-L.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I got the motor mounts built today, I still need to pull the motor and finish welding up the frame mounts and paint everything.
RIMG0001-L.jpg

RIMG0002-L.jpg

RIMG0004-L.jpg

RIMG0006-L.jpg