• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

67 Alpine rebuild with Miata 1.6

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Checkout the Mgexperience and BritishV8 boards for everything about restoring and modifying the MGB. The Fishmouth grille and split rear bumper are somewhat rare, only in 71-72 models.

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So I got a chance to borrow a knock out punch to continue the harness install. I think it will come out to be a real clean installation.

You can also see I now have working clutch. I haven't taken pictures of the gas tank progress but they should be coming out soon :)

robertf

Donation Time
Have you hooked up the throttle cable yet? I'm sort of stuck on that. I drew up something really complicated that sort of looks like the 1725 linkage that will pull a shortened miata cable, but I'm sure there is an easier and probably more elegant solution.

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
No picture updates but the clutch is working and new hard brake lines are ran. I sorted out the miata body harness and have it securely mounted under the dash. My goal is to kick the engine off over the holidays. I managed to modify the stock header to clear the steering box. only item left to fire it up is fuel lines.

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So here are my latest updates

1. new water pump and timing belt
2. fuel hard lines ran
3. oil filter relocated
4. radiator mounted
5. gas tanks repaired

robertf

Donation Time
I also installed my oil filter remote mount tonight. Where did you mount the filter? I went with a 3/4" thread mount so I can run a stock alpine filter rather than the shot glass sized miata filter. It's also the same filter as the rest of my vehicles so i usually have one in hand

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
I also installed my oil filter remote mount tonight. Where did you mount the filter? I went with a 3/4" thread mount so I can run a stock alpine filter rather than the shot glass sized miata filter. It's also the same filter as the rest of my vehicles so i usually have one in hand

i mounted it behind the radiator on the passenger frame rail (look for the blus adapter)

DemkoG

Donation Time
sorry did not see how I missed that. I am planing out my build and liked how you did the rad. very nice work keep it up.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you for posting all the up-dates and pictures. I plan on doing this to my Ser II, I now have a Datsun A14 motor with 4 speed that I installed back in 1979 :eek: I picked up a 1992 1.6 with 5 speed, so far I have started removing the wires I don't need from the harness. I can't tell from the pictures if the in-take support clears the Sunbeam, it looks like in your pictures the mount on the in-take has been removed? I was thinking about removing the in-take mount and building one off the throttle mount.

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
Thank you for posting all the up-dates and pictures. I plan on doing this to my Ser II, I now have a Datsun A14 motor with 4 speed that I installed back in 1979 :eek: I picked up a 1992 1.6 with 5 speed, so far I have started removing the wires I don't need from the harness. I can't tell from the pictures if the in-take support clears the Sunbeam, it looks like in your pictures the mount on the in-take has been removed? I was thinking about removing the in-take mount and building one off the throttle mount.

the brace was removed and mount on the intake was ground down. if not it will sit on the body.

its a old pic

Before the mount was removed

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you, that's a big help. I have the wiring about half done, my plan is to remove the wires not needed to run the motor. I also plan on wiring the radiator fans and fuel pump relays to be standalone. I picked up a motor, trans and all the wiring. I still tracing down which wires need power all the time, switched power and ground.
RIMG0500-L.jpg

RIMG0508-L.jpg

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So today was D day the engine started up and idled without issues. So now its time to complete the cooling system and warm it up.