• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mazda Engine Swap

robertf

Donation Time
Played with some mig welding aluminum tonight. No spool gun, just a bottle of pure argon and a straight torch cable. Worked pretty good. My aluminum welding skills are bad, but my flap disc skills are great. That's the air temp sensor in the intake tube.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

robertf

Donation Time
Still finishing up all of the details. It's been running very rough, high idle, stumbling when the gas is hit. I suspected it was lack of throttle position input to the ecm since the 1.6 uses a throttle switch that tells the factory ecu idle and wot with nothing in between.

I went through every tps I could find at pick n pull and a Kia sephia was the winner. Same plug, same shaft diameter, just needs a spacer with a different bolt pattern

It's running much better with this setup

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

robertf

Donation Time
Megasquirt 1

I figure it'll have a turbo one day, and the stock ecu is no good for that and I didn't have harness or ecu to start with so I gave it a shot

robertf

Donation Time
It moves! And then it gets towed home by a discovery

i overestimated the remaining fuel in the tank and the maiden voyage around the block was going well so I pushed it too far. Tried pushing it and found out the brakes are dragging. Burned up the starter and one of the linkage bolts loosened up

I think one more weekend of messing with it and it'll be good to go. Seems to have plenty of power compared to a 1725

robertf

Donation Time
If the Miata uses a 4 post coil pack, just put the current feed to the coil through the tachs current transformer (with polarity change if needed).

The coil will put impulses on the tach JUST like if you had points and a single coil.

You may need to change the number of turns to the impulse transformer (1 to 4 turns) till you get a functional signal, but likley 1 turn is all you need.

This works on my distributorless setup on my alpine and the stock tach.

So this worked just fine. I had to adjust the pot, but the # of turns remained untouched.

Thanks for the help

robertf

Donation Time
I had some problems with the megasquirt doing random backfires at key on. I found a fix for it online that involved adding a few transistors and inverting the way the ecm handles the coil control. Seems to be working now, but this will definitely be my last megasquirt venture. Almost anything would be better.

E fan off a Kia something or other mocked up. It really shows the shoe horn it took to fit this thing. Less than 1" clearance between water pump and fan.

For the speedo I'm installing a later model Miata VSS in the transmission and using a Cable x speedometer drive. It appears that my series V speedometer is gunked up with something so I'm using the older one I had sitting around. I found it is moving the speedo 25% faster than expected. Easily fixed by changing some jumpers but the chart no longer applies.

I thought it would be a few more weekends but the details are starting to add up. Realistically spring before I attempt to inspect and register.

IMG_0876.JPG

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
I had some problems with the megasquirt doing random backfires at key on. I found a fix for it online that involved adding a few transistors and inverting the way the ecm handles the coil control. Seems to be working now, but this will definitely be my last megasquirt venture. Almost anything would be better.

E fan off a Kia something or other mocked up. It really shows the shoe horn it took to fit this thing. Less than 1" clearance between water pump and fan.

For the speedo I'm installing a later model Miata VSS in the transmission and using a Cable x speedometer drive. It appears that my series V speedometer is gunked up with something so I'm using the older one I had sitting around. I found it is moving the speedo 25% faster than expected. Easily fixed by changing some jumpers but the chart no longer applies.

I thought it would be a few more weekends but the details are starting to add up. Realistically spring before I attempt to inspect and register.

IMG_0876.JPG

Looks good!!. I plan to have my swap running over Christmas :p and beating the pavement by Spring. Yea megasquirt can be painful at times and the clod start tune is by far the hardest

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"I had some problems with the megasquirt doing random backfires at key on. I found a fix for it online that involved adding a few transistors and inverting the way the ecm handles the coil control. Seems to be working now, but this will definitely be my last megasquirt venture. Almost anything would be better."

Yes, the Megasquirt can be a handful. It was designed to be adapted to work on as many applications as possible. As a result it fits absolutely nothing. Takes a while to work out all the kinks. That is a heavy lift for most of us as we know little about computers, ECM's and especially Megasquirt.

But why quit after your getting a handle on it?

Bill