• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Motor And 4 Speed

DemkoG

Donation Time
I am at the beginning of my restoration and I am trying to make a budget for it. My question is what is a a good running non modified 1725 and synchro non-overdrive 4-speed worth. I have a guy local to me with one and can't find much on pricing searching the forum.
-Greg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Total Rebuild?

Try calling Rick at Sunbeam Speciality (SS) in Calif

You would get a pretty good idea what parts cost.

DanR

RootesRacer

Donation Time
A motor thats not in need of a rebuild and a usable (as is) transmission?

IMHO $800 for the pair. $1000 if they are nice or said to be rebuilt.

Either needs work? The value goes down to perhaps $400 if both are cores.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Greg, I would say $600 to $750 would be a fair price if the motor and tranny are actually in good shape. The problem is knowing how good it is, how many miles on it, and how long it will last. If it were recently rebuilt,i.e.say only 5000 miles since a solid rebuild, then it would be worth more like $1000 to $1500. Note that to rebuild one, doing most of the work yourself, except the machine shop work, would cost about $2500- $4000, depending on your location. Having the whole engine redone by someone else would be $5000 to $8000.

Tom

DemkoG

Donation Time
Thanks for the quick reply all. I will take a look tonight and let you now what I find out.
-Greg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The other thing to keep in mind is that things like this are only worth what someone is willing to pay. It is not like there is a huge demand for Alpine engines and transmissions. They are expensive to ship, and thus most likely to be sold locally. And, how many other people in your area are going to be in the market? I bought a S3 engine and transmission (said to be running when removed, but who knows?) a few years ago for $100 and they came with a bunch of other, more valuable parts. They'd been on the market for quite a while before I came along. The seller wanted the garage space back and I had the space. A good deal all around.

DemkoG

Donation Time
Well I looked at the motor last night and looked good. compression check was 135 +-. Comes with intake, carbs, exhaust manifold, down pipe to the y pipe the trans shifted good and I took off the cover/shifter the gears looked good the oil was clean, in both motor and trans. He had a video of it running. I looked down the spark plug hole and the cylinder walls are not shiny but I could not tell if their was any thatching, I could not see any score marks. The rockers looked good clean no build up. the intake and exhaust looks like it was running rich. had a starter, slave cylinder, alt, ect. seems like a good motor.

It came out of a his car because it got tagged in the rear passenger corner and he did not have it insured for the road when it happened.

I told him I would think about it he wants 1200 I don't think he is trying to rip me off just don't know if he knows the value of the motor or if I am too low,
-Greg

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Stock Alpine motor and 4 speed

If I were in the market for a rebuild on a 4 cylinder engine, I would shop around. Some of the prices mentioned here seem on the high side. I have had 2 V6 engines build from core engines.....with boring, balancing, racing cams, heads done....the works and cost was, I thought, reasonable at $2500 and $3000. One was done 8 years ago and the other 2 years ago. Check with your local hot rod guys for a reliable engine builder or check with some of the local car clubs, especially British ones.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
$1200 seems high to me, too. Unless the transmission is an OD. If it is, grab it quick! If not, it can't hurt to offer him something in the neighborhood of what people here are suggesting. The worse he can do is say no.

DemkoG

Donation Time
He had the motor and trans were on a stand and the starter could turn the motor that is how he showed me the compression. Not ideal but seemed to work. No its not a over drive just a sycrowed first 4 speed. I will talk to him next week end. still not sure how much to pay just have not seen too many of these Rootes motors around. I don't think eathier of us are in too much of a rush. The fact that it comes with the carbs intake and exhaust make too much of a difference? thank you guys you have been very helpful into my first British car.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Being able to see the motor running before you buy is a big plus. It's the tranny that's the real pig-in-a-poke. Alpine trannies hold up pretty well if the oil hasn't been allowed to leak out sometime in the past, but you won't know how usable it really is until the first few times you're heading downhill, off the gas, and it either does or doesn't pop out of third gear.

bohemianway

Donation Time
I did not see where you are located. you should let the forum know and you may find someone near you looking to get rid of a powertrain especially those looking for an excuse to do a Alger or v6.

DemkoG

Donation Time
sorry thought it was in my sig I am in CT. I am being talked into a miata motor. Like i said earlier I am at the beginning of the build and I am looking over my options. if the motor will need to be rebuild and its already not the original motor it may be better to go with a swap not sure right now thanks guys.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a lot to be said for a swap and many believe that Miata motors could represent a huge potential. But that said, be very careful about what you sign up for and seriously look at your skills and available time before you head down that path. Many engines can be made to fit, but there is only one kit that can be installed by someone with less than expert mechanic abilities and that is the Ford 2.8L V6 kit sold by Jose Rodriguez. I suggest you spend a couple of hours reviewing the Modified discussions before deciding on your best path forward.

DemkoG

Donation Time
Thank you for your concern and I do mean that. I do have the shop, ability and well time is one of those things you never have. A little back round on me is that i grew up around mussel cars, have worked in a restoration shop 3 years a motor machine shop 3 years while becoming a engineer. I built my self a a good shop, lift, powder coating oven, lath, Bridgeport, and a cnc 3 axis mill, and all the normal shop stuff. I am not trying to brag just letting you know I have a strong foundation. with 14 custom cars under my belt I am fairly confident but that dose not mean I can't learn from people especially ones that have focused on one specific car and know it top to bottom.

I am thinking the miata motor because I think it fits the idea of alpine the best and I think the miata is the pinnacle of the small sports car (lotes could be better). also I raced spec miata for season and a half till i put it in the wall. I have rebuild a few motors rear ends and trans so I know it well. With its plenifullness, cheep , reliable parts. light weight hi reving motor it should be fun.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to being a member hear and have already gotten alot of help from members thank you.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Good to know where you're coming from since we have those of all skill levels here. Myself I've been working on and rebuilding for 40 years now, mostly self taught. For some guys, this is their first foray into anything mechanical and we've see some with no idea how complex their desires can be, that's why new guys tend to be asked/advised in what others have found to be easier options.

And personally, I prefer cars than don't come in a shell....;)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greg, I do not believe you are trying to "toot" your horn..

I appreciate knowing what background a guy has. Yours sounds great to me!

Almost envy your shop equipment and knowlede to use it;)