• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Brakes

10sguru

Donation Time
Finishing up a rear brake shoes and wheel cylinder replacement job on a 1966 Series V that was started many years ago, don't ask it's a long story. At any rate everything has been replaced except for an issue with the short pull-off spring. Can any of you tech gurus suggest the best way to get that spring re-seated into the brake shoe holes? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Last edited:

chazza

Donation Time
It is a while since I did the brakes, so I can't remember exactly how I did it, but it is often easiest on drum brakes to join the shoes together with the springs installed and then lever the shoes into place using a long screwdriver, or something similar. Once they are on they can be tapped into place so that the drum will go on.

On cars where this is hard to do, I have used a wire hook to pull the spring into position, so that the spring hook falls into the hole,

Cheers Charlie

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I did the rear brakes on my series V last December. The process is what Charlie describes. Put the springs onto the shoes first. Then mount the shoes to the fixed post. Then use a screw driver to lever the other end of the shoes into place.

Mike

10sguru

Donation Time
Thanks Charlie & Mike. One other question. When I first started this repair I had removed the springs and shoes from one side of the car and when I finally got back to the project I removed the other side. I did note that the short pull off spring was mounted in the brake shoe holes with the hooks facing away (on the inside of the shoes) from the back plate but when looking at the diagram from the WSM 145 shop manual it would appear the spring mounts with the hooks facing the back plate or on the outside of the shoes. Just need to confirm that the shop manual representation is accurate. Thanks.

Jim

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
My springs match the WSM depiction. The short spring is on the outside of the shoes. The longer spring is on the inside of the shoes. See attached photo.

Mike

Attachments

• 20140308-001 LH drum.jpg
    20140308-001 LH drum.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Mike....My compliments on posting a GOOD photo. of the brake shoes.
Very clear. Are you a pro. photographer?

10sguru

Donation Time
Mike,

Just finished mounting the shoes with springs attached as shown in that excellent photo you provided. Mounted one brake shoe to the fixed post then turned the other shoe perpendicular to the fixed post. Placed the screwdriver blade between the two, prised toward the back plate and the brake shoe slid down the screwdriver blade and snapped right into place. Took less than 3 minutes per side. Thanks again to Mike and Charlie for the advice. If everything else goes well B395001112 will be back on the road for the first time since 2001. :D