• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Availability of SV Fuel Pumps or rebuild kits?

bohemianway

Donation Time
Running down the highway for a couple of miles and the engine starts to stumble. If I coast for a bit it recovers but begins again after a short distance. If I stop and let it idle for a minute I can go again for a mile or more. My first guess is that the fuel pump needs to be fixed or as I have seen mentioned the cam lobe for the pump may need to be redone.
1) Is there a good source for a rebuild kit (or at least a new pump)?

2) If the cam is worn: How can I check for this ?

I like the original pump with it's hand primer lever and glass bowl so I would rather not go electric even though I have a free supply of airtex pulse pumps.

Thank you,
Charles

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Unless your fuel tanks have already been boiled out and resealed, it's much more likely that the problem is your fuel line is clogged with paint chips peeling off the inside of the fuel tanks.

First thing to do is park your park on an incline (to keep the fuel from running out), then remove the glass bowl from the pump and see if the recessed pockets of the pump are full of black flecks of point. If so, search the site for the next steps.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Reflecting back on my "Coil is Hot"....

Just a word of caution! I went thru more than a month of troubles trying to figure out my car acting like a fuel starvation and or an electrical problem.

I missed two major events with my SV(1725) that I wanted very much to attend.

I thought it was afuel problem first time. I hung a "lawn Mower" fuel tank on the spring on the bonnet lock and ran the fuel line direct to the twin strombergs.

Put the fuel line from the pump into a bottle. The car ran great. It actually pumped fuel into the bottle. SO, I thought it had to be the electrical.

Eventually changed out everything distributor, coil, wires, plugs, etc., etc.,...including the ign switch.

Finally changed out the "new" manual fuel pump (w/glass bowl) that only had less than 400 miles.

The "new" new replacement fuel pump worked great ! That is for less than 30 minutes, then it died also. That was it for me! Bought a Mr Gasket 42"S" electric fuel pump (2 to 4.5 lbs) and also bought a regulator, set at 2 lbs.

I installed it right behind the center of the rear axle using some 3/4" soft rubber mounts. Then hooked it to the electricial wire that was added during the restoration process (Pete's Wiring Harness) just in case I ever wantedor needed to add the electric pump.:D

When I turned the switch on to start the engine, I did not hear the "noise" expected from all the talk about the pumps being loud.

At first I thought I had miss wired some thing or ???

Crawled under the car to see what was wrong, Nothing was wrong I could barely hear it running! Hit the starter! It came to life like it is supposed too!

My car runs great! I highly recommend the Mr Gasket 42"S" and at a decent price of $38.00.

bohemianway

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies

I will look into the paint chips etc. first since the tanks have never been touched. And, when the engine is running the glass bowl looks like a raging boiling pot of water. The funning thing is the hissing sound the carbs make when hand priming. My guess is that the bowl temps are high enough to flash boil the fresh hot incomming fuel. Typically fuel boils at around 155°F and the bowls are to hot to touch so.......

Are there filters on the fuel tank outlets?

Thank you,
Charles

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
None that I know of!

WHy is the fuel so hot?

IF that hot it could be vapor locking.

Check the fuel lines to make sure they are not touching something hot like the engine, radiator hose, etc. Wrap the lines in insulation (that will not burn).

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I will look into the paint chips etc. first since the tanks have never been touched. And, when the engine is running the glass bowl looks like a raging boiling pot of water. The funning thing is the hissing sound the carbs make when hand priming. My guess is that the bowl temps are high enough to flash boil the fresh hot incomming fuel. Typically fuel boils at around 155°F and the bowls are to hot to touch so.......

Are there filters on the fuel tank outlets?

Thank you,
Charles

The "hiss" I hear when I prime my Strombergs by hand is from the sound of the fuel squirting into the bowls. That's with a cold engine. The "boiling pot of water" may be from the pump trying to draw against a clogged line. You might also want to check your oil and see if the fuel pump is leaking thru the diaphram into the sump.

chazza

Donation Time
The "boiling pot of water" may also be an air leak on the suction side so check that any hoses or unions are tight and in good condition,

Cheers Charlie

bohemianway

Donation Time
More info

I removed the fuel line from the pump and let it drain. The fuel flowed like it was coming out of a garden hose and took at most 20 minutes to drain 9 gallons. So I reinstalled and cleaned out the top of the pump (inside the glass bowl) and reassembled. It hand primed fine but once floatbowls filled I noticed air bubbles coming up around the out side of the filter(inside the glass) but it was not coming from the fuel inlet passage. It contiues to bubble air at the top of each stroke yet when engine is running I see no bubbles. Can teh diaphram leak air into the glass bowl? There is no gas in the oil.

Thank you,
Charles

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The glass bowl seal absolutely can leak.
Put some grease around both sides of the seal so see if that slows or stops the bubbles.

The old cork gaskets often fail like this.

bohemianway

Donation Time
Air not from bowl seal

As I watch it the air is coming up from under the filter and roling up over the outside edge. It is not coming in from around the (now rubber) bowl seal.

Charles

RootesRacer

Donation Time
As I watch it the air is coming up from under the filter and roling up over the outside edge. It is not coming in from around the (now rubber) bowl seal.

Charles

Then you likely have a leak in the gas line pre pump.

Put a short length of "new" fuel fitting and hose and supply from a gas can above the motor.
If the problem goes away its the old gas line or tank fitting.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I had an air leak at the barb on the inlet side of the fuel pump. As I recall, I fixed the bubbling issue by marrying an inch or two of fuel line and a new fitting.