• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Estimated cost to V-6

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can't you all play nice? Cost is relative on which source you use. One of my junkyard friends only goes on Tuesday to buy as it is 1/2 price day.

Well, I suppose that since what and how I fabricate seems to bother people, I'll just quit. I'm just posting it on the chance someone might enjoy seeing real life screwups Hell, if it promotes domestic tranquility, I drop off the board entirely.

Or maybe I'll just beg a ride in a V6. Then parts will start dropping off the trees and the cost of a conversion will drop to zero. That would make a lot of dudes happy. Especially Jose.

Maybe I'll take a poll.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
About "begging a ride...."

I surely enjoyed riding in Mr Bill's "AlPINE"

coupe

Donation Time
Bill, don't get bothered by someone's opinion, and it is just their opinion. It might work a nerve but let it pass, that opinion won't change the facts on your conversion or add or detract from it!!
You along with the others on this board have given such good advice on the conversions it would be a shame to loose any part of the information! Keep the faith man we will be looking forward to your ideas and help.
Joe (coupe)

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
The poet John Keats once used a term "negative capability" to describe (roughly) the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in your mind at the same time without deciding that one of them is true and the other false. I'm not so sure if I possessed great negative capability that I'd be swayed or even pay much attention to no capacity for it at all.

I once had the pleasure of taking Jose for a long ride in my S IV Automatic. We talked about all sorts of things, but I don't recall even the mention of a V-6. What a great man. Like you, Mr Bill Blue. And like everyone that frequents this board.

Last edited:

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm getting rid of all my stuff for $6000, car, motor, transmission, and just about anything needed to assemble a running V6. It was a lot of fun tracking down some of those parts on the Internet. The V6 engine is pretty much ready to run, but when it got to things like that tunnel for the right exhaust and all of the electrical stuff, it just got beyond my abilities. One of these days I'd love to have a running V6 Alpine, but health and time ran out on me in trying to get it together. The prospective new owner has had lots of experience in restoring Alpines and apparently has the tools to do the job. I wish him luck. And I thank Jose, Dwain, dmich, and others of you for all of the advice over the years.

Sam

britbeam

Donation Time
I'm getting rid of all my stuff for $6000, car, motor, transmission, and just about anything needed to assemble a running V6. It was a lot of fun tracking down some of those parts on the Internet. The V6 engine is pretty much ready to run, but when it got to things like that tunnel for the right exhaust and all of the electrical stuff, it just got beyond my abilities. One of these days I'd love to have a running V6 Alpine, but health and time ran out on me in trying to get it together. The prospective new owner has had lots of experience in restoring Alpines and apparently has the tools to do the job. I wish him luck. And I thank Jose, Dwain, dmich, and others of you for all of the advice over the years.

Sam

THE NEW OWNER IS GETTING A REAL JUMP AHEAD WITH BUYING YOUR CAR SAM. ALL THE BEST TO YOU.
DWAIN V6 KRAZY

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
...The V6 engine is pretty much ready to run, but when it got to things like that tunnel for the right exhaust and all of the electrical stuff, it just got beyond my abilities. One of these days I'd love to have a running V6 Alpine, but health and time ran out on me in trying to get it together. ....

Sam

Is anyone else thinking "Invade Beaumont?" Money and inspiration running out is one thing, health and time are a little more deserving. I hope you haven't let this one go yet Sam, especially if you own other Alpines. I think of this post daily. Can't believe others don't also.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is anyone else thinking "Invade Beaumont?" Money and inspiration running out is one thing, health and time are a little more deserving. I hope you haven't let this one go yet Sam, especially if you own other Alpines. I think of this post daily. Can't believe others don't also.

Dan's already snatched it up and done took it home. Beaumont has been invaded and cleaned out.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yep! Got'r home and in a safe place to give her the once over. Sorting out all the goodies Sam had gathered up.

Will attempt to start some work soon.

Sam is a very nice gent that has fond memories of his Tiger. Expressed interest in getting a "Nice" running V6 some time in the future. He has asked for and received first chance at his (now my) Old Green Alpine.

John W, stop by and take a look!

Last edited:

britbeam

Donation Time
Another V6 on the way

Hey Dan I know your happy with all you got on the car. What a Great start.
Any questions I will help as much as I can.

Dwain V6 Krazy When a Hack Job just won't do. LOL oops sorry Bill. Hey just back at ya LOL

uktjas2

Donation Time
S II v6

Hi all
I have a 1961 SII and want to fit a v6
Wants involved and are there still kits being made
Any help please

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Kits are still available from V6 Jose on this forum. Send him a message using the Members List (Above) and send a PM/Private Message.

Welcome to SAOCA....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Dan I know your happy with all you got on the car. What a Great start.
Any questions I will help as much as I can.

Dwain V6 Krazy When a Hack Job just won't do. LOL oops sorry Bill. Hey just back at ya LOL

Or, to put it differently: "Hack Job Duratec, when you'd rather build a goer than a looker."

Your turn.

Bill

PK

Donation Time
V6 Mod

Gents:

I'm new to the club, and have stripped a '67 down and am looking at engine/transmission options.

I'm comparing the 289 with the V6; so far, all I've heard is that the 289 mod is a difficult one.

Is the V6 a good option? Power/torque/sound?

I'd appreciate some feed-back, particularly from anyone who has done the switch to the V6.

thanks

pk

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi PK,

I answered your other post here:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17793&page=3

Rich

Gents:

I'm new to the club, and have stripped a '67 down and am looking at engine/transmission options.

I'm comparing the 289 with the V6; so far, all I've heard is that the 289 mod is a difficult one.

Is the V6 a good option? Power/torque/sound?

I'd appreciate some feed-back, particularly from anyone who has done the switch to the V6.

thanks

pk

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, PK:

If you do the performance modifications to the Ford 2.8 V6, you can get almost as much HP out of it as a stock 289, and it drops right in without any major modifications. This V6 conversion is the only conversion that is available with a complete kit for installation.

The cost is about 5 -7 K, depending on how much you want out of it, it can be done for less if you find the right kind of deals.

V6 Jose, on this forum sells a kit that includes the engine mounts, transmission cross member, alternator/generator bracket, slave cyl. bracket, and custom headers... the kit is about $1600.00, and has everything that you need to do this conversion, and we are here to help you through it.

When I did my conversion, two years ago, I think I started gathering all that I needed in Sept and had the car running in late March. I worked on it almost every day, and never had more fun.

When I had the mufflers installed; on the way home, a guy in a truck chased me down and wanted to know what kind of a V8 I had in my car, and he was shocked to find out that it was this little V6. It sounds great, and runs great.

There are other options that you can do, as well, however more than 100 Sunbeams are running around with one of Jose's kits, and a Ford V6, it is a tried and true method to get some real performance out of our cars.:)

Take care,