• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dumb SI dash question.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I sold an SI to a friend and included "what you need or want" from my SI parts car. The sold SI had a wooden sash from somewhere. The SI has a metal dash that looks just like the dash in my SII except it apears to be painted black. At first I thought it was just grime from sitting for years but the black doesn't come off with any readily available solvent.

What did the original SI dash look like? I'm assuming same as SII. Was the SI painted originally or should it look like the metal one in the SII? I'm assuming someone painted the one in the SI, correct?

If it has been painted, any suggestions for removing the paint? My friend bought it for his wife (although he is doing a fairly complete restoration) and she really likes the metal dash in my SII.

Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Well for sarters neither SI or SIi had metal dashes from the factory, thy were all bakerlite. The SI and SII had a midish grey metalic finish.. most people repaint them in a light silver.. but the factory colour was quite a lot darker than silver.

I have heard some late SII's had black painted dashes.

The S3 shared the late SIi dash but had a black crinkle finish on ST models.

The SIV and SV alpine ST's had a vynil covered bakerlite dash that would be lack under.. but.. they have provision for warning lights of the later cars and lack the raised areas for the gauges as featured on SI-3

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
On this site, under Technical Data, then Electrical Components, you will see a photo of an SI or SII dash. That may help som.

Tom

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Well for sarters neither SI or SIi had metal dashes from the factory, thy were all bakerlite. The SI and SII had a midish grey metalic finish.. most people repaint them in a light silver.. but the factory colour was quite a lot darker than silver.

I have heard some late SII's had black painted dashes.

The S3 shared the late SIi dash but had a black crinkle finish on ST models.

The SIV and SV alpine ST's had a vynil covered bakerlite dash that would be lack under.. but.. they have provision for warning lights of the later cars and lack the raised areas for the gauges as featured on SI-3

The dash on my Moonstone S1 is black, as is the interior.

So far I can't tell if it was black from the factory or if it
was painted by a PO.

But I've see pictures of several S1's with black dashes.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The dash on my Moonstone S1 is black, as is the interior.

So far I can't tell if it was black from the factory or if it
was painted by a PO.

But I've see pictures of several S1's with black dashes.

Alan, i have no doubt that there are SI/II's out there with black dashes.. many with wood ones, but all the factory pictures when they launced the cars are the grey colour (though it often looks more silver in the illustrations they did) if they went to black i woudl say late SIi if anything. but im sure all the SI's would have had the grey

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael,

I'm scheduled to begin work on the car in a couple of weeks.

If possible, I'll try and see what - if anything - is behind the black and report my findings.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. I guess the NO will probably paint it grey or silver.

Not my problem. I was mostly curious. I owned an SI in the sixties that IIRC had a silver/grey dash. My current SII has one. My SV has a homemade wood one, no holes cut for speedo or tach.

Ktapply

Donation Time
Correct Gray/Silver color of Dash.....

I seem to recall that somewhere along the way I have seen mention of the correct or near correct color for the SII dash color.....can anyone help me identify the right color?

Thank you....

Kevin...

buzz1981

Donation Time
Well as.for SI dash inquiery i have an early SI and its a true 1959 SI B90007** LRX EARLY !!!' my car is original down to still havein the factory seat covers it is ij the begginings of its 1st restoration it was factory carnival red exterior black soft top black interior with carnival red pipeing and my dash is BLACK AND LIKE A HARD PLASTIC COMPOSITE IT HAD GOTTIN A BREAK OR CRACK AT TH GLOVE BOX AND THE ONLY WAY I CAN EXSPLAIN IT IS IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN YOU BREAK A PIECE OF SHALL ROCK AND ITS BLACK ALL THE WAY THROUGH I AM ALSO LIKE I SAID STARTING THE RESTO AND I AM TAKING THE DASH OUT AND WILL BE TAKING PICTURES AND LOOKING FOR DATES AND PART #"S SO MAYBE BETWEEN ME AND THE OTHER GUY WITH THE SI in the 4000's !!!! For the sunbeam know it alls when i said it looks like plastic of some kind or a composite im useing them materials as a reference!!! EITHER WAY MINE IS AN EARLY SI AND MY DASH IS BLACK!!!!!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Buzz.. the dash is bakerlite, a predecessor to plastic. the dashes were black bakerlite and were painted the greyish/silver colour.. they were not an impregnated material.. just a painted finish that chipped off quite easily.

I have a SI dash and it's black, except where has the original paint was under the finisher that goes under the steering cowl protected it.

Also.. wile you have your caps and exclamation marks flying.. why dont you post us all some pictures of the rubber floor mats and the 3 window grey internal lined soft top that your car must have.