• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

sII in NC

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Don-that is one rough dawg.... Good to see you posting again! Eric

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
This one has been around/adv. for a while now. I know one guy looked/talked about it but is more interested in a III for a conversion.
That is some serious dust.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yo Don!

Been wondering if you'd ever come back. I know you said you'd be out of action for a while. Welcome back. Found an Alpine yet?

Bill

agmason54

Donation Time
Diamond in the rough.I bet it would bring $2500 if it was washed off. It may have a rebuilt engine, complete tool kit and solid floors...Why doesn't he V6 it?
AL

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Eric,

Hi Bill,

I pass through every so often and try to keep up with the high spots. No Rootes-mobile yet, but I did think about Andrew's (Auto-X 47) Alpine when he placed it for sell. :eek: Either that or a Locost. LOL My schedule hasn't improved. I am only hearing rumors that maybe, there is some light to be seen at the end of the tunnel in about a year (all things are subject to change).

johnd

Donation Time
If one were to buy this car for $2,500 and put another $15,000 into it they'd have a car worth about $8,000. Is it just me or does it seem like all Alpines, regardless of condition, sell for between $2,000 and $8,000.

agmason54

Donation Time
John,
The trick is to know what you are buying, NEVER buy a rusty car,make it run yourself, assume your time spent is worthless,enjoy yourself in the car, someone will see you living large and want to pay you five grand for the joy they imagine you are having in your five hundred dollar ride. This is true story but what do I know?

Albert

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
John,

Yopu´re not dreaming. There are a few really nice Alpines that sell fr more than $8K, but they are few and far between. I believe that most people who would buy an Alpine, are basically frugal, to put it nicely. We don´t want to spend money to buy either the car or it´s parts.

I know a few guys that will, and have, spent tons of money on their Alpines but if they want to sell it, they have to find a certain buyer that will pay the higher asking price. Case in point. The beautiful Alpine GT that vince just sold, I´m sure went for a lot more than $8K. Many on this forum would love to have gotten it, but one guy stepped up and bought it. It´s price was just too rich for the rest, no matrter how beautiful it was.

The only thing I say, is build your Alpine you want and enjoy the journey and count the money as cost of entertainment and enjoyment you had while you built it and owned it. If you buy it to make money, better off doing what Al just said. Buy it cheap tinker with it a little until you get it running well enough, then sell it.

Alpines are a love affair, or they are a waste of money as an investment.

Jose

If one were to buy this car for $2,500 and put another $15,000 into it they'd have a car worth about $8,000. Is it just me or does it seem like all Alpines, regardless of condition, sell for between $2,000 and $8,000.

Ktapply

Donation Time

Ours are the kind that we LOVE and therefore the money is secondary. If you want an investment grade automobile call Wayne Carini... He seems to have figured that out. Of course you will have to spend $300k for a XXsomethingXX Ferrari or the like to hope to get any return on your investment. Or you could begin your search for that ultimate barn fine numbers matching split window big block corvette and hit it big.. Or you can find a super cool little alpine that begs for restoration, learn the mechanics and the body work and create your masterpiece that is uniquely yours. In my case, I find solace in the fact that my 4 year old son will someday drive "His 62 Sunbeam Series II" with a super hot girlfriend to his senior prom in his car. The thought of that is "Priceless" and makes it all worth while. Do it for all the right reasons....

mferris

Donation Time
Ours are the kind that we LOVE and therefore the money is secondary.

Amen. After I purchased my SV and started work - a coworker astutely said, "Well, they always say that you should buy experiences, and not things". I learned that the hard way with this car - and have come to cherish the fact about my Alpine.

I've come to call working on the car the adult version of "playing in the sand": You start with a unstructured pile, move things around to build something you have pride in, have some admirers walk by, and when it's over the rain and wind will render your creation nearly worthless to anyone else and ready the canvas for the next creative sole, yet leave you with great memories of time spent.

I have tracked most of my spend in this car and have now spent about $7K beyond the car price on something that is still rusty, needs paint, has no interior, and won't even start. What the money bought was skills and memories.

Plus, my wife learned that a British car show at a winery is a really pleasant way to whittle away a day!

agmason54

Donation Time
Beamers
I call it 'Car Wars' on some days and my hobby on good days.
SII's had the turn signal switch on the right and the OD switch on the left as you can see in this picture. The OD stalk is bigger.
It was warm here yesterday. I fired this car up only to hear it run for a minute then the carb flooded, the key switch died and I lost the timing then the battery went dead. I repeated this senerio over and over. I quite before dark, removed the plugs and cooked them on the gas stove, pulled the battery to charge it,put my remote fueltank away, cussed my buddies for not showing up when I need them to run the key so the 'force' was not with me yesterday but hearing it run for a minute was worth it.To me it more about showing the car who's boss and this car laughed at me yesterday....
Love,
Al

Attachments

• 102_6959 (Large).jpg
    102_6959 (Large).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 25

agmason54

Donation Time
John,
There are a few SIIs out there with an overdrive switch and no overdrive transmission.Here is another SII with the OD switch on the left,turn signal on the right like the Lord intended.... Rootes that is
Agm

Attachments

• 102_6450 (Large).jpg
    102_6450 (Large).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 22