• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hood buffers

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I purchased a set of hood buffers - those little bumpers along the edge of the engine compartment to keep the hood from rattling. Anyway does anyone know how to remove the two at the windshield end? The ones at the radiator end were easy but I don't see how to get to the nut on the other ones. Thanks again

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If I remember correctly, the rear two go into a threaded hole.

Correct. The nut is welded inside the body. But you do need to release the lock-nut (visible below the head of the buffer) before you can unscrew the old buffer from the welded-in nut.

65beam

Donation Time
buffers

the rubber buffer is fastened to a metal base with a bolt welded to it. i have found the easy way to remove old buffers is to use channel locks and grasp the metal base and turn the buffer out of the captive nut. it's never failed for me. then run a tap thru the captive nut to clean it.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, all. I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow afternoon.

I have to change out the starter this weekend. I've done this before and remember it's a pain to do w/ headers in - which is what I plan to do. I have new radiator hoses to swap too. Its been many years so I figure it's time again. I have plenty of beer in the fridge if anyone wants to help.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Thanks, all. I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow afternoon.

I used this method some years ago, but one buffer's bolt sheared off as it was rusted into the nut. PITA to rectify. Before you grab your wrench I suggest some penetrating oil, and work it back and forth a bit before you turn it.