• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 Bolt-on 2bbl Carb Options?

mferris

Donation Time
I'm getting my '78 MII 2.8 ready to install and started looking at the stock 2bbl Motorcraft carb and all the connections that I'm not quite sure what they do or even if the carb will work after sitting for 10 years.

Is there a simple bolt-on 2/4bbl carb that I can purchase (rebuilt/new) to replace the stock. I just want to get the 2.8 going with minimal trouble at this point. A 4bbl with Offy intake is a little out of my price range right now.

I have a 32/36 that I was using on the 1725 - but I'm presuming that it won't fit the 2.8 stock intake.

-M

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

The Motorcraft two barrel is your best bet. I recommend using it, over any other two barrel, because it is simple and you can´t really screw it up. The stock Motorcraft two barrel is about 250 cfm., but you can go to a 350 cfm version without any problem, although I prefer the stock one. I would just plug any smog nipples it may have, that aren´t needed, with a little rubber boot. I wouldbn´t be surprised if it worked after 10 years of non use, although I recommend rebuilding it before using it. It believe it has only two gaskets and two jets, so you can´t get confused. It is a great carb if you can´t afford the Holley four barrel and Offy manifold yet.

Jose

mferris

Donation Time
Thanks Jose. There are about 8 vacuum nipples, a lever on the back/underside and possibly a few other connections that I don't quite know what to plug and what to hook up.

Best I can tell the only things I need to hook up are:
- Throttle
- Vacuum for ignition advance (don't know where to take that from)
- Power for electric choke (prefer manual but don't know what to buy).

Overall, this engine looks very, very clean (38K miles according to rumors, thanks to some others on the board) so I'm hoping to just mount it and run it. I guess I can always just start unplugging stuff if it doesn't work.

-M

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Mike,

The Motorcraft two barrel is your best bet. I recommend using it, over any other two barrel, because it is simple and you can´t really screw it up. The stock Motorcraft two barrel is about 250 cfm., but you can go to a 350 cfm version without any problem, although I prefer the stock one. I would just plug any smog nipples it may have, that aren´t needed, with a little rubber boot. I wouldbn´t be surprised if it worked after 10 years of non use, although I recommend rebuilding it before using it. It believe it has only two gaskets and two jets, so you can´t get confused. It is a great carb if you can´t afford the Holley four barrel and Offy manifold yet.

Jose

What he said....

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The stock carb from 75 to at least 77 (excluding CA models) was the motorcraft 2150.
Its a good carb. I'm surprised to hear is only flows 250CFM since the little 32/36 usually flows nearly 250CFM and has smaller throttles and venturies.

The performance upgrade to the 2150 is the Holley 2300, which IIRC is half a 4150 4bbl.

shagbeam

Donation Time
I was reading the Ranger Bronco II forum. They have articles about TBI fuel injection using a 3.8 throttle body which flow 350 cfm and a 2.9 harness. It looks really interesting to me. Has anybody tried this?

canuck pride

Donation Time
I was reading the Ranger Bronco II forum. They have articles about TBI fuel injection using a 3.8 throttle body which flow 350 cfm and a 2.9 harness. It looks really interesting to me. Has anybody tried this?

Can you post that link from the ranger bronco fourm? I would like to read this. Thanks

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
2.8 bolt-0n 2bbl carb

I've been running the same motorcraft for 20+ years. It's been a set it and forget it carb. The 3 items you mentioned are all you need. You can block off everything else - that's what I did. I am using a vacuum port on the passenger side just forward of the fuel inlet for my dizzy.