• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4-link rear suspension

socorob

Donation Time
I dumped my exhaust down right before the axle for the same reason. When I get around to redoing it, it will go straight under the axle.

hotrod

Donation Time
I plan on building a 4 link for my car also. I have not even looked at it yet. I have built street rods before with both a parallel 4 link and a triangulated 4 link. The Sunbeam must wait its turn, though. Any photos and/or drawings would surely be helpful though. I have autocad 2004.

bashby

Donation Time
I will have photos and 3D (Solidworks) files with pdf's available I can convert them to dxf's or whatever if this all works out!

bashby

Donation Time
I have all of the pieces fabricated and all parts purchased for the 4-link. Hope to have it on the car by month-end. Will post details once it is on the car and I have an idea of how it drives. Will post 4-link vs. OEM weight too.

bashby

Donation Time
I have weighed all of the parts for the 4-link (including bolts, nuts and washers) to be 32.4 pounds. I will weigh the OEM parts when I have them off the car.

bashby

Donation Time
I have weighed the parts removed, leaf springs, U-bolts, mounting plates, shocks, shackles and hardware to be 76# therefore approximately 43.6 pound weight reduction:)

bashby

Donation Time
A slight problem, the upper triangulation links of the 4-link contact the floor pan after 2" of spring compression; something I need to work out.

whoizrob

Donation Time
my thoughts exactly....

Packaging space is our biggest foe her. I am sure there is a solution where a triangulated 4 link works, but sometimes the easiest solution is the most elegant.

Been pondering this issue and I'm starting to think parallel 4 link with a pan hard bar is the way to go. Not as light but much easier to implement.

Rob

tigretr

Donation Time
Rob,
I have been trying to sort out the parallel 4 link for a while now. I definitely don't think it is the easiest to install. In fact I think it is going to require a lot of cutting and reinforcing to access the upper link mounting point and to get the link to the rear end. There is a lot of room above the forward leaf spring mounting point however. My plan is to use the leaf spring mount as the lower arm mount and then go almost straight up from there into a dark abyss and just make it happen. This is necessary if you want mostly parallel, equal length links (which is preferred). I have all the parts starving for my attention, I just need the time, $$, and oh yah, time! I do however have a watts link already designed to handle the lateral control. All of this would go onto a new 8" Ford rear end.

Brian

bashby

Donation Time
My current trangulated 4-link configuration does not appear to need a Watts Link or Panhard Bar it does however negate (remove) about 1" of suspension travel in compression. I may decide to live with it and change the stops accordingly. It is simple and does not bind which is a good start! I am expected to go on travel tomorrow, I will post photos when I am able.

socorob

Donation Time
I had to cut the corner out of my battery box and make it a 45* angle for my upper right link to work. I cant remember exactly what the measurement was but from the top of the brackets on my upper links on the diff to the floor above was definitely under 3". I was worried about it bottoming out, but after a couple years and driving on some crappy Louisiana roads, and a couple autox's, its hasn't happened yet. 2-3" in compression is a good bit unless you have very soft coils.

bashby

Donation Time
I removed the entire battery box so, no worries there :)
It is snowing, have 3+" and as I am going on travel it will be ~10-days before I can get on the road weather permitting. I am running 200# springs and if need be will change them.

socorob

Donation Time
I think mine are either 1&0 or 185#. I have double adjustable shocks and at the last autocross I would change settings every run and it ended up being best with the shocks on the lowest settings for both compression and rebound. Now if I could get the front end to be equal to the back end then maybe I would have a fighting chance against those pesky miatas.