• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Schematics or details of resizing the M II differential.

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

I was wondering and hoping that someone had some detailed plans, photos, schematics for resizing the Mustang II differential to fit in to the Sunbeam.

Help ?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Bill Magill

Donation Time
Ken
Thank you for asking the question. If anyone does have these details, I would be very appreciative to be included in the reponse and receiving any
guidance you may have to share.

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
For the Series 2 at least, I dont think mine is the optimum width for off the shelf wheels. If I had to do it I would get the widest wheel and tire combination I liked, stick them under the car and work backwards from there, pretty much making sure that the backspace for the front will work so you can rotate the tires. The width everyone uses now is fine if youre not after the most grip or want to get custom wheels made. Once again, mine is a series 2, the other series may have different fender wells so that size everyone uses may be perfect for those.

bashby

Donation Time
I have a drawing for the Ford 8" that I made for my Series V if it would help. You can change the width for whatever wheel backspace you are using.
-Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Don´t forget guys, that you have a spring on the inside and the fenderwell wall on the outside, that are going to limit the width of tire you can run without having to put fender flares on it. I ran a 8" wide BFGoodrich Comp TA on my Alpines, and had only 1/2" clearance to the leaf spring, and about the same to the fender side. Changing the width of the rear end housing and the offset of the wheels will not change that.

I don´t remember what we did with Soco Robs Alpine´s rear end, but it probably replicates the Alpine rear end, even to the fact that my friend forgot to tell the guy that cut it, to place the pinion in the middle between the springs.

To fit the 8"wide tires, I had to bend up the fender lip to give the tire room so it wouldn´t rub.

Jose

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

After chatting with Jose, via email, what I am going to do is just take both differential units into the machine shop, tell them to cut the MII to match the width of the stock Alpine differential unit and have them center the MII diff/third member(this allows you to leave the battery box in its original position) and pray that the Alpine gods will honor me with a good fit ! ;-)

Having said that, if someone does have detailed info. that is always a plus to take into the machine shop.

Take care and be happy,

Ken

PS - 1 month and 16 days until I can begin the conversion !

bashby

Donation Time
On the Ford 8" you need to center the yoke not the pumpkin, otherwise the driveshaft rubs the tunnel on right-hand turns.

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Good Tip !

Thanks Bashby,

That is a very helpful and important point as the yoke is off-centered !

I will definitely keep that in mind when I go to the machine shop.

Thanks again,

Ken

hotrod

Donation Time
The best way to do this is have the wheels and tires you want to use, place the in the fender wells where they fit best, and make an axle housing to fit between. You can purchase a housing made to your specs which includes new axles, bearings and seals for around $800. You can instead shorten or modify a used Ford axle to fit. You will probably have to shorten both axles or buy new ones to fit the modified housing. I have done both, and for me, I wouldn't modify another Ford housing. I have never had axles shortened and resplined, but I know others who have. Keep in mind that the original axles would have been case hardened and I don't know of any place that could case harden resplined axles. It is also very important to get the axle ends perpendicular to the axle centerline before welding them on. In addition, the new axle housings are clearly manufactured to a higher quality than originals. And don't forget about clean up costs on a used axle. I had one hot tanked because it was so filthy. I don't recall what that cost, but it wasn't free.

bashby

Donation Time
This is the drawing that I provided the builder when they made mine, note that I ended up with the pinion angle being +2° (nose up) not the 0° as stated on the drawing; you will need to verify te pinion angle for your setup. Additionally you need to make certain that the differential width is correct for your tire and wheel selection, this differential was made for a 6" wide wheel with a 4" backspace on a 195/55-15.

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Great Schematic !

Hi Bashby,

Thanks for the schematic !

It is very helpful; when I go to get my diff. done I will take it along.

I will have to buy new gears, and a LSD, but hope my machine shop can do the job on the axles and housing, I am okay-so-so mechanically so i will try to handle the labour end of the job. ;-) Fingers crossed !

I will let people know the cost and the results when I get things done.

Thanks again, and i really enjoy how helpful and considerate people are on this forum - it is awesome !

Ken

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Bigger Attachment photo please Bashby

Hi Bashby,

You saved the attachment as a thumbnail photo. It is okay to look at on the forum but if I save it to my computer it is so small in memory size that when you expand it, it can't be read.

Please attach a full size photo if possible or email it to me ~ mind_ken@yahoo.ca

I know the system only allows certain sized attachments.

Thanks,

Ken

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi Bashby,

You saved the attachment as a thumbnail photo. It is okay to look at on the forum but if I save it to my computer it is so small in memory size that when you expand it, it can't be read.

Please attach a full size photo if possible or email it to me ~ mind_ken@yahoo.ca

I know the system only allows certain sized attachments.

Thanks,

Ken

Click on it (the thumbnail), its a full sized image.

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Sorry, My bad !

Hi Bashby,

I forgot to add in an "a", which is really quite bad for a Canadian as we always say, "eh" !

minda_ken@yahoo.ca

I think it will get to me now; sorry for the inconvenience.

Ken