• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust fumes in car

shagbeam

Donation Time
I bought a 1964 SIV in July. 1592, 4 speed and I think it's got a Pinto carb from what I can figure out. It's a driver that needs everything. Most of the wiring was gone along with the dash, front turn signals, trim, grill, you name it, it's missing. But still a driver. I'm 10 years older than the car and I find it easy to work on and more affordable than American cars of the same vintage. The problem is exhaust fumes in the car. The exhaust system is newer and seems tight. It has a different tail pipe than the stock type that doesn't extend too far past the bumper. I've noticed pictures of stockers that stick out further. Another unknown is carb jetting. It had 2 electric fuel pumps one inline with the other. I tried running with only 1 which seems to work fine. The trunk is far from sealed tightly with daylight showing in many areas. My next step is duct tape sealing the truck. Winter's coming soon in MI so driving opportunities are fewer and fewer. I don't drive it to work in the dark. I wouldn't want to hit a deer with this thing. Oh yeah, the top is gone too.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Shag,

I had the same problem, till I extended the tail pipe 1.5" past the bumper and used a turn down tip. No more fumes in the cabin.

Jose

shagbeam

Donation Time
Thanks, I'll try that. I don't suppose a guy named V6 would have advice about putting a 289 in. I've had this 289 in the barn for years and looking for something to put it in lead me to Sunbeams.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The lack of proper sealing around the trunk can also contribute with the short tailpipe to getting exhaust in the car.

As for the V8, the short answer is it takes more work than you may realize. I don't have time today, but if no one else goes through them I'll see about a list of changes tomorrow.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Shag,

Unless you have a lot of money and lots of energy, you don´t want to try this. It can and has been done, but it isn´t a drop in by a long shot, and most guys that attempt this quit before they get half way through.

If you want more power and reliability from your Alpine, the Ford 2.8 V6 is the easiest and most economical way to accomplish it. Thats why they call me V6 Jose.

Jose

Thanks, I'll try that. I don't suppose a guy named V6 would have advice about putting a 289 in. I've had this 289 in the barn for years and looking for something to put it in lead me to Sunbeams.

shagbeam

Donation Time
As far as energy , like I said I'm 10 years older than the car. I'm thinking about retirement so that probably answers the money question. I'll let you know if the trunk and or tail pipe solves the exhaust problem. Thanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had terrible problems with exhaust fumes. The trunk is sealed, I extended the pipe and put a down turn on it. The only thing that has worked is a 90* turn, extending the exhaust to the outside edge of the car and dumping behind the rear wheel.

Not perfect, but best I've found.

Bill

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I had the most trouble with exhaust fumes when one of the metal plugs in the trunk floor near the exhaust pipe popped out.

If you can see "daylight" thru the trunk, then that's where you're probably sucking fumes from.

shagbeam

Donation Time
I have the exhaust extended probably 2+ inches passed the bumper. The fumes don't seem as bad but still noticeable. The PO patched the trunk but it's not correct. He laid a panel on top of the frame rails so it meets the back panel too high and can't be closed around the area the gas tank crossover passes through. I've looked at some pictures that look like the trunk is a pan that drops between the rails. Does anyone have good pictures of the rear from inside the trunk and the underside. This looks like a winter project.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Here is a picture of the boot (trunk!) of BNR 20B, a very low mileage automatic gearbox Series IV, and probably the most original Alpine left in the UK. I think it is generally accepted to be the best reference for originality that you will find.

Hope it helps.

ALC 68A (Steve)

Attachments

• P8010264 small.jpg
    P8010264 small.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 36

shagbeam

Donation Time
Oops. I meant the boot. Thanks. There is a restored white Tiger on line with many pictures of the restoration process. There are good views from numerous angles.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Shagbeam

While the Tiger and Alpine shells are basically the same, there are a few differences in the boot area. The Tiger had its battery in the boot, and there is no battery box hanging down, so there are presumably additional holes/fixings for this. The spare wheel lies flat under a false floor instead of standing verically like in the Alpine, but I can't remember whether that means the spare wheel well was deleted as well. There will also be different fixings for the twin exhausts.

ALC 68A (Steve)