• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Newbie Darksider

SoCalpine

Donation Time
So barring any unforeseen obstacles, like post office snafus, I have set my mind on finding an engine Saturday and arranging things with the machine shop on Monday. Sick day and all that. I think I have the following priority in terms of cores:

1. '74 M2
2. Cheep- it's getting rebuilt anyway
3. 75-79 M2
4. 83-85 B2/Ranger

Sound right?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

Your list is correct. When you go to buy an engine core, if it is from a wrecking yard, make sure you get a guarantee that it is rebuildable, like making sure that the heads aren´t cracked.

You´re on your way!

Jose

SoCalpine

Donation Time
The Fontana motor is not in stock. The '74 on line is't real, its a "I'd have to build that but we don't sell cores" kind of thing. Hopefully the machine shop has a line on a core.

At least the seats and carpet are out so we can cut the tunnel tomorrow.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Well the tunnel never got cut, but the Blitz parts have shipped and I got a 238 on eBay with a speedo. Kelly helped me update my parts list so this week it's off to napa. Flywheel's next on the list of rare parts to find. Mustang II or what else? Capri? xr4ti?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The Capri flywheel will work, but you need to be careful what year it is from. The 1972-1973 Capris came with a 2.6 V6 and their flywheel uses a 3/8" spacer between the flywheel and crank. 1974 and later Capris had the 2.8 V6, so their´s will interchange without any problems.

Didn´t the XR4TI come with a turbocharged four cylinder? If that is so, the flywheel from the XR4TI will not work.

Jose

Well the tunnel never got cut, but the Blitz parts have shipped and I got a 238 on eBay with a speedo. Kelly helped me update my parts list so this week it's off to napa. Flywheel's next on the list of rare parts to find. Mustang II or what else? Capri? xr4ti?

shagbeam

Donation Time
I been thinking about the 2.8 swap since V6 Jose suggested it to me in another thread. Since I'm new, what's the definiton of "dark Sider"?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The purists feel there is something sinister about modifying a perfectly good or restorable Alpine. So you must have been pulled to the "Dark Side".

SoCalpine

Donation Time
I'm also finding some much cheaper flywheels on ebay for MII, sometimes compatible for pinto or bobcat. As long as they will work with a base Mustang II, not AT am I safe to order one? I'd rather not spend $140 and wait a month if I can spend $60 and have it next weekend.

gordonra

Donation Time
As mentioned in an earlier post, you can use a flywheel from a Rangr/Bronco II like I did.

It does require a custom clutch disk to be made. I got one made for $75 and it only took a couple of days to get.

I understand that the Mustang uses a slightly larger clutch, but remember the stock ranger/bronco had more hp than the stock Mustang. Of course more is always better though! :D

Rich

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'm also finding some much cheaper flywheels on ebay for MII, sometimes compatible for pinto or bobcat. As long as they will work with a base Mustang II, not AT am I safe to order one? I'd rather not spend $140 and wait a month if I can spend $60 and have it next weekend.

The pinto and bobcat did not come with a V6 and manual trans (came with automatic) so any flywheel that claims to be for MII and pinto bobcat is going to be for the 140cid 4 banger.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Try this,
Flywheel/Flexplate
Ford Mustang 5467 $45 Standard Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) E-mail 1-619-426-1166 2145
Flywheel/Flexplate
Ford Mustang 5467 $45 Standard Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) E-mail 1-619-426-1166 2145

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I don´t recommend using the Ranger flywheel, unless you don´t have another choice. The Ranger flywheel needs machining to allow it to fit, plus you need a special clutch disc, which can´t be bought just anywhere, like the Mustang II unit can. The Mustang II was a heavy car, so used a larger clutch to be able to handle the extra abuse it would get when starting from a stand still.

I will always go for the simpler choice, because you have to think about the future needs of your car as it accumulates miles. I doubt that either clutch disc would go out very early, but when it comes time to replace it, it will be easier and cheaper to source a stock replacement.

Jose

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Just called, It's sold. Rats!

Try this,
Flywheel/Flexplate
Flywheel/Flexplate

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Well that was easier than I expected. I found one for a 2.8 MuttII and the kit from Phoenix (thanks Kelly) So I think I've just about got it all headed my way. There's only a few more parts I need to figure out.

What kind of starter should I be looking for? I'm going with a '79 MII distributor/brainbox. Should I the same with the starter?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Well that was easier than I expected. I found one for a 2.8 MuttII and the kit from Phoenix (thanks Kelly) So I think I've just about got it all headed my way. There's only a few more parts I need to figure out.

What kind of starter should I be looking for? I'm going with a '79 MII distributor/brainbox. Should I the same with the starter?

So which do you think you will get, a flywheel or a flexplate?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor

The is no '79 Mustang II. It ended in '78. '79 is the first of the Fox body Mustangs.

gordonra

Donation Time

You are safe with a Mustang starter. I perviously believed that the ring gear was the same diameter, but the clutch contact area has a slightly larger surface area (for the bigger clutch). This may be incorrect because the starter mounts the same way on either block so the center of the starter is the same. However, Kelly noted that my Ranger setup spins faster than his Mustang config. Maybe the starter gear has more teeth????

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Here I go back to feeling stupid again. I suppose one will work for my car and the other will work as a doorstop, right?

The flywheel is used with a manual transmission, the flexplate used with an automatic.
The flexplate is lighter and less expensive and at the costs you specified, I'd kind of expect the product to be the flexplate.

In any case, I wouldnt buy it unless I knew for sure.