• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

suggested flare tool?

dtbaker61

Donation Time
I am researching a couple new tools I know I am going to NEED ;) when I get into replacing some nasty brakelines. Anyone have any recommendations on good quality, not too expensive flare units?

I am looking hard at the Eastwood pro-flare kit.... does all sizes tubing with single and double flares, but only 45 deg. Is that all I need? I have seen references to 37 deg flares, but I am not sure if that is anything I am going to run into?

comments?

any favorite online sources for brakeline and matching fittings if I am doing an initial bulk order?

65beam

Donation Time
flare tool

do yourself a favor and call sunbeam specialties and order the lines you need. they also have all the connectors you will need. saves a lot of grief.

dtbaker61

Donation Time
do yourself a favor and call sunbeam specialties and order the lines you need. they also have all the connectors you will need. saves a lot of grief.

I might do this for a lot of them, but am considering changing the master cyl to a modern tandem for safety.... something like a generic Tilton w/ .750 bore probably. so I'll need to change the last lengths at the very least.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I got one, that does single and double flairs, from Harbor Freight. It's cheap and wouldn't last a week in a brake shop, but for my very limited needs, it worked fine.
Ron

hotrod

Donation Time
I redid my rear lines with a 37 deg flare. The origin of this is military spec. It is meant to be taken apart and reassembled many times without leaking. 45 deg automotive flares were developed to seal easily the first time on the assembly line. They will often leak if taken apart and reassembled. Aircraft hydraulics and race cars use 37 deg flares almost exclusively. Various fittings are readily available. I used 3/16 (AN3). I still had to use the 45 deg bubble flare at the wheel cylinders. I bought pre flared line at Advance auto and cut the ends and flared. I think I got my flare tool from Speedway Motors. It does only 37 degree. But I believe they also sell a tool which will do 45 degree flares. Also, if you wish to make your line out of a stainless steel, a better tool is required. The standard tools will only handle softer metals. If you buy pre flared line at the auto parts store, be sure to get the bubble flare with the SAE thread fitting.