• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash interchangeablity question

T2C Alpine II

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Folks:

I'm about to update the wiring on my Series II modified Alpine, it currently has a painted sheet metal dash and I 'd like something a little more traditional. I am a woodworker and have considered doing a custom dash, but there are also a few good looking dashes out there offered by other SAOCA members, in catalogs, etc.

Are early series dashes easily interchanged with later series dashboards?

I see previous threads where there are dashboard templates mentioned, but I can't seem to locate files on the board. Any help or information would be appreciated. I've just ordered a Rebel Wiring Harness and would like to update the dash when installing the harness.

Thank you

John Tremain

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

the dashes GT and ST are interchangeable between early and late cars... but consider that the later cars use warning lights mounted into the dash where the early cars have the warning lights in the gauge faces of speedo and tach. So if making a wood dash for the early car either delete the warning light holes or use them for other functions. Also the igntion switch moved from the far side to close side on the later cars,

One last thing... you say you have a painted sheet metal dash? All alpines had either painted bakerlite, vynil cober plastic or wood.

T2C Alpine II

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks

Thanks Mr. King

Appreciate the info. Yes I'm sure my car had a Bakelite dash at some point but there's not much of anything left original. Pretty much a hot rod dash now, instruments are all Aftermarket. The nice thing about the highly modified car is Restoration is really out of the question at this point. Gives some freedom to do things like put in a wood dash with a cubby door etc.

BTW when my son and I were researching Alpines to decide what he wants long term the cars he kept returning to were yours.

Best to you

John,

the dashes GT and ST are interchangeable between early and late cars... but consider that the later cars use warning lights mounted into the dash where the early cars have the warning lights in the gauge faces of speedo and tach. So if making a wood dash for the early car either delete the warning light holes or use them for other functions. Also the igntion switch moved from the far side to close side on the later cars,

One last thing... you say you have a painted sheet metal dash? All alpines had either painted bakerlite, vynil cober plastic or wood.

hotrod

Donation Time
What is your dash made of? Aluminum? Steel? I might be interested if you want to sell it. I was planning on making my own. Can you send me some photos?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
dash interchangeability

John,

I think you will find the dash sold by Sunbeam Specialties to be of very high quality (walnut veneer over marine plywood), and much stonger than the solid walnut dashs some others sell. That being said, it wasn't for me.

Another option is to put a wood veneer over the later plastic dash. This allows you to select the wood you want (I like oak) and finish it any way you want (I'm not a fan of the "polished like a Marine's dress shoes" look). It also gives you the option of covering over any holes you no longer plan to use.

Of course if you are a woodworker you might actually enjoy the challenge of building one fron scratch.

alpine_64

Donation Time
BTW when my son and I were researching Alpines to decide what he wants long term the cars he kept returning to were yours.
Best to you

John, that's very flattering... i have owned my SII since i was 17 (now 32) and the tiger for the last 5 years... you can tell him long term ownership is a great way to keep him out of trouble... the cars make sure you never have the money to get into it :D

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
5 have a Series II dash in a Series V car, but to say they are interchangeable is not correct. They do not bolt up to the center braces in the same manner. Let's just say that with modification, they can be made to work.

Bill