• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trunk panels

agmason

Donation Time
Michael,

"Now you say i will believe what i want despite the facts.. well mate.. get yours right"

the FIRST prototype that ran was by Ken Miles.. so thats technically the first Tiger prototype, even though not the one that production was based on."

You are wrong on that point of "fact". Shelby was contracted first to build the Tiger but it would take many weeks to complete. Ian Garrard contacted Ken Miles to build a proof of concept known as a "mule" in the automotive world because Ian didn't want to wait. In no way can you consider the Ken Miles car a "prototype".

"Also Art alfons appeared in the ads for tigers too.. did that make him a creator of the car? Brabham apeared in the alpine ads.. maybe he made the alpine? and given brabham was one of the guys who suggested an engine transplant.. maybe they should be a brabham tiger? "

Now you are being silly. Read my previous post about Shelby's involvement and you will see what I'm talking about. As far as Art Arfrons or Brabham appearing in ads, do you really think because someones face is in an ad they have something to do with the product? I can't tell if you are serious or making a joke.

"im just saying that good ol CS didnt play much of a roll in it himself, and you seem to think it was a big part.. "

Nope, I said it was more than minimal. I would consider Art Arfrons and Brabaham's involvement minimal at best, not Shelby's. Like I said before, its a matter of degree and if you feel Shelby's design and crafted prototype, first USA competition car and campaign, royalty on every Tiger made, and appearing in ads less than minimal, okay. However, I disagree based on the facts.

agmason

Donation Time
Here is what we have:

"Factory Original (1 Viewing)
How did it originally come from the factory? Discussions for the purists."

"Stock" Alpine (4 Viewing)
For those striving to preserve the period look & feel of their car.

"Modified Alpine (2 Viewing)
Because there's always room for improvement"

I think people are getting lost in this web site. We are in the first forum. If you want a car not "factory original" (like plastic trunk panels) then you should go to the last two forums on the list.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Steve , The millboard from wollies is a great product. The look and feel is so much better than the plastic ones. Also where the holes are on both sides of the panels the edges are the natural tan millboard colour.

At our shows the millboard covers are one of the first things judges will look for as the repro ones stand out so much.

Well done for keeping it real !

ausrules

Donation Time
Just starting on restoration of recently acquired S3 (see pics in Stock Alpines, 63 Series 3 Seats), and the panels in the boot (trunk) are missing. I can see how to figure out the fender panels which cover the petrol tanks, but the cover over the "plumbing" - is that just flat pressboard (maybe "masonite" works - though texture is wrong)? Anyone have templates or pictures? Thanks.

Ausrules

John Boggis

Donation Time
Granted the reproduction plastic trunk panels look good and won't rot but the old pressboard trunk panels have a certain look to them.

Does anyone know where you can get the original press board material trunk panels?

Steve

Steve, did you ever get those press-board trunk panels installed ?

Here's a pic below of what they should look like...note the tan colour on the raw edge of the press-board.

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
I have the black PVC trunk panels from SS and I'm having a problem fitting the two rear rectangular sections. My trunk latch plate looks like the one in the attached photo, with four bolts securing it to the car. The SS panels would cover the lower bolt, is this correct? Does anyone have a photo of these panels properly installed?

Thanks!
Kim
Series III
Tiger II

Attachments

• 286699_x640_10.jpg
    286699_x640_10.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 68

65beam

Donation Time
panels

there were two different latch plates. series 3 and possibly some series 4 cars had four bolts holding the latch plate. later cars had two. the panels that rick sells are for the cars with two bolts. you need to cut the panel so that it doesn't cover the bolts.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Factory overspray....

I suggest you pick up a NPD catalog and read it. In it, you will find parts that have correct date code markings for concours judging. Also, if you read some of the literature for judging you will find correct paint stampings, crayon markings, factory overspray and the like. This is known as "factory original" and restoring a car to better than "factory original" will hurt you in the end.[/QUOTE]

I'm restoring my 1967 SV and trying to keep it "as original" as possible but I am having trouble with "where to paint what color....

My Paint code is 106 Commodore Blue. I've gone to several paint stores (Automotive) and finally found at my local NAPA Dealer a service /sales person that bothered to help me!

They calle Dupont for a cross reference to # 106 and came up with Dupont BS 370. The Dupont rep said it had a bit of purple in it!

That is when I knew it was at less close!

The "Chip" matched a piece of a panel taken from the trunk holding a gas tank.

Can anyone confirm this Dupont BS 370 with Rootes Sunbeam paint code 106?

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain the "true" areas to paint "what" paint "colours" in my restoration project?

I've seen a lot of Alpines/tigers painted all sorts of colors, some having been painted inside and out one (1) color. Others under the dash, under the car, wheel wells, trunks, gas tanks differently. :confused:

My car appears to have been "black" under the car! Under the dash and in the floor pans. In the trunk it was blue over the #106 behind the gas tanks yet the Panels holding them appears a purple tint #106.

The prior owner repainted the car. But, did not use #106.

I truly enjoy this site! I wish to say thanks for all the help available here!

Happy Touring,

DanR

65beam

Donation Time
panels

you won't find the correct paint color being produced by any paint company. get one of the cd's from jumpin jan and take it to a paint shop and have them scan it. the entire car was painted the same on the bottom and inside as it was on the exterior. that includes the floors and the wheel wells. you will find that the braces to bolt the dash to had very little paint but overspray on most cars as did all the area behind the dash. also where the heater core sets you would find very little paint along with other areas that were never seen. the cars were run thru the paint booth and painted by a live human versus the robots of today. the gas tanks were not in the car. they were black. on a series 4 & 5 the grill opening area was painted black and was brush painted. on an original car you will find runs in the paint around the X frame due to all the paint being sprayed into the openings.

hotrod

Donation Time
I don't claim to know, but my series 5 had the fuel tanks painted the original body color at some point. I discovered it when I removed them for stripping/cleaning. It looked like the first coat to me. I didn't see any black under it.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
on a series 4 & 5 the grill opening area was painted black and was brush painted.

This is true of ALL series Alpines but is rarely done when people restore their cars. It makes a big difference in appearance IMO.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anybody happen to have a before and after set of pictures? My car is black, and while I believe Scott, I having troble visuallizing the difference.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not the greatest pics but here's two I took during the assembly of my Series 3.

Attachments

• brush paint for web.jpg
    brush paint for web.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 28
  • brush paint for web1.jpg
    brush paint for web1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 28

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
And here's an example of what it looks like when it's NOT painted black. It doesn't look right.

Attachments

• White S3 GT for web.jpg
    White S3 GT for web.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 34

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
106 Commodore Blue

DanR.......I'm restoring a very original, low mileage Commodore Blue car. When I removed the interior, the paint was shiny and unfaded. I had it computer matched and can send you the formula for PPG single stage enamel. Let me know if that will help and I'll get it from the paint shop.

Kim
Maryland
Series III
Tiger II
Tiger I

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
flat black behind grill

We copied a car with original paint when we brushed on the flat black behind the grill and where the upper front fender meets the door when restoring my Series III. It's easier to see the black on a light car.

Kim
Maryland
Series III
Tiger II
Tiger I

Attachments

• P8100003.jpg
    P8100003.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 28
  • P8100002.jpg
    P8100002.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 25

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
So that means that this car is *not* correct? Boy, I thought it was about the most 'correct' car around.

2304422140078015567S600x600Q85.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, here's a pic of a SIV with all original paint, so it looks like it certainly was in place for that model.

md_117.jpg