• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

finally on the dark side

socorob

Donation Time
I thought about torq thrusts but they were 10 pounds or so heavier perwheel. Not goodfor a sports car. Heavier makes it handle and ride worse

socorob

Donation Time
Stopped at the state weigh station and asked the guy if he could weigh me. He let me take most things out of my trunk, and i asked if he would weigh it with me out of the car. So i pulled up got out, he brought me a paper and went back inside, and then a few trucks were coming in so i had to put all my stuff back in my car. I get where im going and take a look at the paper and the picture had me sitting in the car, so now i dont know if the weight was with me in the car or not, so it may be minus +/- 200 pounds, i dont know.
It was 2340 with half a tank of gas, spare, jack, airpump, and a few misc things i didnt have time to take out, and possibly me.

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 60

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I think it had to be without you in the car, because my V6 Alpine weighed 2400 lbs without me and with half a tank of gas. Either way, it is pretty light, for the power you have in it.

Jose

Stopped at the state weigh station and asked the guy if he could weigh me. He let me take most things out of my trunk, and i asked if he would weigh it with me out of the car. So i pulled up got out, he brought me a paper and went back inside, and then a few trucks were coming in so i had to put all my stuff back in my car. I get where im going and take a look at the paper and the picture had me sitting in the car, so now i dont know if the weight was with me in the car or not, so it may be minus +/- 200 pounds, i dont know.
It was 2340 with half a tank of gas, spare, jack, airpump, and a few misc things i didnt have time to take out, and possibly me.

jimfai

Donation Time
bill blue, i see your post about rims, i have a set of steel 14" ones with baby moon hubcaps that came on my car, i replaced them with some used 14" alloy rims, but i am having a set of 15" minilites that i already had redrilled at the moment. i would be happy to part with the steel rims at a reasonable price if you are interested. jim

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
bill blue, i see your post about rims, i have a set of steel 14" ones with baby moon hubcaps that came on my car, i replaced them with some used 14" alloy rims, but i am having a set of 15" minilites that i already had redrilled at the moment. i would be happy to part with the steel rims at a reasonable price if you are interested. jim
I am interested. Could you post the rim width and backset?

socorob

Donation Time
Well ive been busy with my 4 link project. It was much more work than i imagined. Im on the reassembly part now, still need to sort out the battery box and a long way to go yet. Heres some pictures. Im to the point in the project where im getting nervous and hoping all will work out as i planned.

Attachments

• 4 link side view.JPG
    4 link side view.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 146
  • coilovers.JPG
    coilovers.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 155

kmathis

Donation Time
Gosh, Rob; that whole rear axle looks awsome. Is this kit or what, or just a lot of painstaking work and it looks like it is about to payoff. Nice work!:cool:

socorob

Donation Time
It was LOTS of painstaking work. I sure hope it makes a difference to the ride and handling after all I've went through to get to this point. If nothing else, I think it looks cool.

socorob

Donation Time
I finally got around to getting all the parts together and installed gas springs on the trunk. What a difference! Thanks Joel (Procraft) for the bushings. They fit and worked perfectly and only took a couple minutes to change. No more falling trunk. I recommend this to everyone thinking about converting over. Plus I think it shaved 2-3 pounds off in the process.

Attachments

• gas spring.jpg
    gas spring.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 116

daniel luna

Donation Time
do you have part list

I finally got around to getting all the parts together and installed gas springs on the trunk. What a difference! Thanks Joel (Procraft) for the bushings. They fit and worked perfectly and only took a couple minutes to change. No more falling trunk. I recommend this to everyone thinking about converting over. Plus I think it shaved 2-3 pounds off in the process.
u

Will please you give the info how to order this kit & how to contact this company or indivitual? Thank you! It looks awsome! Nice work!
:cool:

socorob

Donation Time
Got the gas tank bolted back into the car today. Installed a rollover vent and made the feed and return -6AN fittings while I had it out. If I ever go to injection, it will be one less thing ill hve to deal with then.

Attachments

• gas tank rollover vent.JPG
    gas tank rollover vent.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 79
  • gas tank return.JPG
    gas tank return.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 70

socorob

Donation Time
Finally got around to putting everything back together to be able to test drive the 4 link. I got the brakes back on but didnt hook back up the parking brake linkage, and they are dragging some. I think because i dont have the spring to push the arm all the way back on the parking brakes on the caliper. I wasnt planning on putting them back on because im thinking about putting Mazda RX7 turbo brakes all around, since I found some cheap at a upullit in good shape. The 4 link is stiffer, but the ride isnt much worse than it was. It tightened the car up a lot from what I can tell so far, it feels really good. The only problem is I can really feel how worn out the front suspension is now. I didnt drive it over 30-40 mph on this 1st test run. I will drive it up and down the street doing "slaloms" at slower speeds for a few evenings after work this week, then this weekend get it up in the air to check out everything one last time before venturing out on the highway. From what I can tell so far, its a definite improvement. i also picked up a pro 5.0 used off ebay for not too bad of a price. I recommend this for anyone with a T5. It shortened the shifts and makes everything feel more precise. Once I get the brakes straightened out and give it a final checkout, ill let yall know how it rides on the interstate. Now that the car sits with the back just slightly higher than the front, I feel like im way up in the air driving around.

Attachments

• brakes.JPG
    brakes.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Shifter.JPG
    Shifter.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 55

socorob

Donation Time
Front Spoiler

Went to a u pull it yard this morning. Looking around I scored some Miata seats that have good foam, just need recovering. Ill get those in this winter probably. I also was looking for a front spoiler. Since I had my car there, the guy let me pull a few off cars that looked like they may work and go outside to see how they fit. I ended up with one from a Suburban, I think it was a 1999. Its a good fit and just needed the ends cut off. Heres how it looks. It was dark and i had trouble taking the picture since my phone has no flash, so I hope you can see it with the shop light I used.

Attachments

• Spoiler.jpg
    Spoiler.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 123

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robbie, could you give an update on the spoiler? Do you have it permanently installed? More photos? Down sides?

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
I have it permanently installed. I don't know if it would fit everyone else's alpine like it fit mine. My valence was bent up along the bottom and somewhere in it's past had been cut and rolled to make room for bigger tires I presume. Because of that reason I had no qualms about drilling holes in the valance.

Pros: cheap $7 from the upullit yard. I set the bolts on top of the hood when I was taking it off and forgot them when I left. New metric bolts cost me $8, so don't forget the bolts.
Easy to install.
Works. I have no carpet or interior yet, as I'm waiting to get my final seats and rollbar in before carpet. I'm missing a plug in the floor. When driving on the interstate I would get a lot of air coming through the hole. Now I get almost none. It was a windy weekend when I installed it. The day before I drove about 50 miles with a strong headwind most of the way. The car was going all over the road especially when passing an 18 wheeler. After I put it on, the car was much more stable and the front end wasn't lifting like it used to at higher speed.
The shape of it fits the look of the car decently in my opinion.

Cons: you have to drill holes in your valence.
It doesnt cover the front tires all the way.
From the side if you look down where it was cut off you see the thin plastic edge. I guess the black plastic is abs? I kept the ends I cut off so if I can find some good abs glue I can put a little radius back on it.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Re spoiler

I'm using the MG spoiler from Moss Motors.Full frontal coverage and only needs a very minor trim on the ends to line up with the front edge of the fender line.Easy to install.Earl(blueoval) liked it and he is using them as well

For some reason I can't add a picture so if someone wants I can send one and they can maybe post it for me

socorob

Donation Time
That top one looks like it. I would go to a upullit yard. They almost give stuff like that away. It looks like chevy trucks around the same year had the same one except has cut outs for lights. like I said my valence was bent up atthe bottom so I'm not sure what the original curve is down there, but it's a good fit on mine, just had to drill a few small holes.