• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recommended total advance for 2.8?

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Todd. Good points for sure. I've always been a little suspect about the ground in the car. Maybe I'll add some more ground at the engine and check the ground at the module too and see if that helps. Can't hurt, that's for sure.
Thanks Bill :). You're right with the analysis. Hopefully I can get it resolved soon :)
Thanks to all again,
Bryan

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nope. Not yet. I'll be regrounding everything in a week or so and fiddling with the distributor. I will update when it's running well...:)

Gitsmart

Donation Time
thanks, the reason I ask is I'm having the same experience, on the weekend I was able to install the proper timing pointer and dial in the initial timing to 12 deg. my homemade pointer had it at 9 deg. it's been raining here for the last couple of days, hoping to do some tests when the rain stops, not sure if I slowly bring it up to over 3000 rpm while driving under load if it will hesitate to rule out the secondary spring.

daniel luna

Donation Time
normal idle for a 2.8 with all the works

The like is I had the engine blue print and all piston balanced with the fly weel the intake port and polished heads same and bigger valves with the springs replaced to the new valves offnhouser intake 290 Holly the cam is Jose specs. The question is it normal for the idle to be at 1100 rpm and jumps to 1400 every other 15 seconds.? Now this so the engine can run with out going out?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bryan,

I would look at your distributor shaft bushing. These distributors have a weakness in that the bushing can go bad, then the shaft , at a given rpm, can begin to wobble and then the engine begins to misfire. That happened to me and my turbocharged Alpine, only mine did it at 5,500 rpm. I changed the distributor for a rebuilt one and that cured the problem.

It is great to see you posting again. What have you been up to lately? Drop me an email and fill me in on everything.

Jose

Crash Bang Alpine

Donation Time
distributor

I think I'd investigate Jose's post. We were playing with the timing on my car, trying to suck out that last degree

in timing and the timing kept wandering. It was the distributor that was worn enough to cause the problem. Even check the rebuilt. Seems like they will only replace what they absolutely have to.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Daniel,

We missed you at the get together this past Sunday. It would have been great to see you again after so many years.

Your problem sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Check to see that all the hoses are in good condition and are properly clamped. I would also check to see that the carb is not leaking from the base gasket. Check to see that all vacuum nipples on the carb are covered, if they aren't being used. I use starter fluid to spray around the carb, hoses and intake manifold, to see if the rpms drop or accelerate while being sprayed.

Please let me know if you find the cause of the high idle and varying rpms. OK?

Jose

The like is I had the engine blue print and all piston balanced with the fly weel the intake port and polished heads same and bigger valves with the springs replaced to the new valves offnhouser intake 290 Holly the cam is Jose specs. The question is it normal for the idle to be at 1100 rpm and jumps to 1400 every other 15 seconds.? Now this so the engine can run with out going out?