• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV rubber door buffers

phatt

Donation Time
As I am sure many of you know by now a gentleman on ebay is selling Sunbeam rubber door buffers. I bought a pair and am very happy with them. However, I am embarrassed to say that I don't know exactly where they go. I have searched previous threads and while they are mentioned there is no in formation on how they mount. My parts car had them in the trunk but obviously this doesn't help as they were not mounted. A picture of them mounted on the car would be great. Can someone post a picture? Thanks in advance. Paul

alpine_64

Donation Time
Paul,

They bount under the chrome B post cap in the door jamb, so the top of the door closes on them and they prevent the door hitting into the B post.

They are screwed into the body, there will be a hole on that panel seam that will show you where, also as you would assume the flat side faces into the car, the thick side to the top.

mattinoz

Donation Time
This image should give you a fair idea of where they go.
BTW wish I could afford the 60 odd bucks they went for. Still exploring ways to reproduce them for myself

65beam

Donation Time
buffers

you don't have to pay 60.00 for them. sunbeam specialties is selling them for 13.00 per pair. he recently had them made. i bought two sets of them two weeks ago and they are identical to the originals.

phatt

Donation Time
Thanks for the help. I also did not pay $60 as the first pair was on buy it now for $28. I wish I had known about SS but Rick doesn't let anyone know unless you ask. He also needs to update his online catalogue as to content and price. Paul

65beam

Donation Time
door buffers

i place orders with him just about every week and i always ask what he has new. i'll try to remember to post something if he gets new items in.

howard

Donation Time
That'd be a great addition to this website: Recent Resources, listing what's available and relatively new for Alpines.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick really could od a better job of promoting the new parts (FOR HIS SAKE AND OWNERS) When he reproed the washer bottles it was maybe 12-18 months before it was widely known.. maybe he could do a page on his site NEW PARTS or BACK IN STOCK... as lots of parts get listed as NLA and then people give up as they are not updated on the site

65beam

Donation Time
door buffers

michael,
i have found over the years that it's much better to make a phone call and have a talk with a person in order to find info. as a one man operation plus the other things that he has to do,he probably doesn't have the time to constantly update a web site. i personally never order anything on line. i prefer talking to a live human being. over my years in the corporate world i would hate to think how much time i spent on the phone TALKING TO A LIVE PERSON ON THE OTHER END. it's amazing how much can get done. rick is a great guy so i don't think you should complain about what he doesn't do that you think he should do. pick up the phone and call! don't expect everything to be at your keyboard. of course i'm a baby boomer that didn't have a laptop in my crib. it's amazing how little the cost is to make a call. i call speedy spares at least every month and i use prepaid phone cards for out of the country calls. plus i ask questions.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
i have found over the years that it's much better to make a phone call and have a talk with a person in order to find info. as a one man operation plus the other things that he has to do,he probably doesn't have the time to constantly update a web site. i personally never order anything on line. i prefer talking to a live human being. over my years in the corporate world i would hate to think how much time i spent on the phone TALKING TO A LIVE PERSON ON THE OTHER END. it's amazing how much can get done. rick is a great guy so i don't think you should complain about what he doesn't do that you think he should do. pick up the phone and call! don't expect everything to be at your keyboard. of course i'm a baby boomer that didn't have a laptop in my crib. it's amazing how little the cost is to make a call. i call speedy spares at least every month and i use prepaid phone cards for out of the country calls. plus i ask questions.

bob i do prefer to speak person to person.. but what i think has escaped your attention is the time diffeence between my location and rick or the UK for that matter.. apart from 1 order with him i have had to order over the phone or by fax. Of late he does confirm the order by email, its a pitty that i havent had much luck ordering the same way.

As for baby boomers.. well aren't you lucky that you now have all this access to a global sunbeam community.. think of all the parts you have got off ebay and all the time you have entertained yourself on the message boards.. without all this technology you'd have to resort to prank calling and fax to get your kicks ;)

65beam

Donation Time
door buffers

michael,
i don't need to worry about getting kicks. i seem to disagree with you a lot plus these stupid computers are an evil we need to have and they do help me make money selling on e bay. i use it whenever i don't have anything else to do.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
michael,
I don't think you should complain about what he doesn't do that you think he should do.

This attitude seems to be the new business model these days. "We the customer, should be darn appreciative someone is willing to run a business for us."

RootesRooter

Donation Time
This attitude seems to be the new business model these days. "We the customer, should be darn appreciative someone is willing to run a business for us."

In Sunbeam Specialties' case, that's precisely my attitude. I would've sold my Alpine long ago if not for SS's extensive catalog, reasonable prices and great customer service.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Go back through any posts asking about where to get parts.. i always plug SS and CS... and MANY times have come in swinging for them saying its worth paying the extra few $ to buy something from them than another generic supplier to ensure we keep getting parts made.. and new NLA parts made.

What i was saying is that so often rick lists something as NLA or creates a new part and doesnt let people become aware of it.. i dont think its that hard to either throw a post on the board here or update a page on his site that might be dedicated to parts that are back in stock or new.. it helps SS as much as us, if we know its for sale we will buy it.

65beam

Donation Time
door buffers

it was much easier for rick when tiger tom was in business. they worked together on getting parts. since i have been buying parts since michael was a gleam in his dad's eye i remember past problems with other suppliers. for that reason rick is my main source of parts since TT retired. i worry about rick taking retirement and then there is no reliable supplier. we're then in a real fix. appreciate him and make a call and talk to him once in awhile. it might amaze you what he has that's not listed.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've been buying from Rick since 1978. He's lucky to have so many Sunbeams on the road that he can make a living from it.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I called VB a while ago for a OD solenoid, the clerk said they don't have thing for Sunbeams. I also was online looking at the Sunbeam catalog, I gave her the part number and she still insisted they don't have thing for Sunbeams. Well to make a long story short:rolleyes:I asked to speak to her manager and got things squared away and got my part. Happy ending, but only going to VB in an Emergency.

mattinoz

Donation Time
VB is a definite no no for overseas buyers. I recently ordered a few small items with a value of about $20. The invoice was finally complied after a 2nd call to them and the postage cost was something like $50.00. :mad: Outrageous!!! Knowing that a small USPS INT package is about $13.00, I'll never order from them again unless I do it via a local intermediary. I didn't proceed with the order.