• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spark plugs?

twospeed

Donation Time
Hello every one,I was just wondering what would be the right spark plug for my SIII.
I am using now Autolite 65, is that right?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hello every one,I was just wondering what would be the right spark plug for my SIII.
I am using now Autolite 65, is that right?

Autolite 65s are 2 heat ranges up from the 63s which are the cross for the n9Yc.

I wouldnt go up two heat ranges unless I was trying to cure a problem.

In short use the Autolite 63.

mbruskin

Donation Time
I just ordered N9YC spark plugs from championsparkplugs.com for $2.89 each. They are shipped from California.

Murray

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

The NGK equivalent plugs are also very good, just not sure of the part number off the top. They also make a long life plug if you want.

Regards, Robin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will never recommend anyone ever use Autolites... I have seen innumerable failures of their plugs over the years, in both racing and street cars. I'm not a 'fan' of any plug - Champion, NGK, Bosch all make perfectly good plugs and in my mind are largely interchangeable - but just *not* Autolite... they stink.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will never recommend anyone ever use Autolites... I have seen innumerable failures of their plugs over the years, in both racing and street cars. I'm not a 'fan' of any plug - Champion, NGK, Bosch all make perfectly good plugs and in my mind are largely interchangeable - but just *not* Autolite... they stink.

They stink? Do you suppose that is why I blew the insulator out of one? Oh the noise! It hit the fender so hard I thought a tire had blown.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
They stink? Do you suppose that is why I blew the insulator out of one? Oh the noise! It hit the fender so hard I thought a tire had blown.

Bill

Yeah, and that's only one of their many, many problems. Outright failure to ignite is the most likely problem.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Hi,

The NGK equivalent plugs are also very good, just not sure of the part number off the top. They also make a long life plug if you want.

Regards, Robin.

The NGK equivalent is BP6ES. I just discovered these in my car and once I regapped them, they where way too wide, the idle running improved out of sight.