• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

automatic transmission

s2willdo

Donation Time
Will the Borg-Warner automatic transmission fit on a 1592 engine or just on the 1725?

I've got a chance to buy one and figure it might make my car a better parade car.

Has anyone on the board driven an Alpine with this automatic transmission?

jmthehermit

Donation Time
The automatic trans was introduced in 1964 behind the 1592 motor. If you want to switch to an automatic trans it would be easier to buy a whole car than try to piece together all the parts to convert a 4 speed car. The automatic Alpines had a lot of specific parts. The automatic cars had a wider trans tunnel. You would also need a shifter assembly and linkage and a kick down cable and all the pieces necessary to mount the flex plate. You would then need to modify a transmission cross member. The automatic had a 3 bolt per side attachment that bolted farther back as opposed to the 4 bolt per side of the 4 speed cars. And finally you'd have to fabricate the trans mount support bracket that mounts to the lower two bolts of the transmission case as the 4 speed bracket is shaped differently.
Now if you get through all that, expect a drop in performance and acceleration as the automatic sucks more power from the motor to operate. Jeff

click on this link for some pictures of automatic specific parts
http://rides.webshots.com/album/559570700OowlcE?vhost=rides&start=72

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I restored a '65 Series IV automatic several years ago. From the factory the BW-35 automatic transmission was originally fit behind the 1600 cc engine.
I used a 1725 engine in my restoration and the performance was actually quite acceptable, especially when manually shifting the tranny up through the gears.

Jim the Hermit is correct - an attempt to convert a standard Alpine to an automatic Alpine requires a good bit of modification and part scrounging.

from sunny South Dakota,

Paul

JonPiz

Donation Time
After owning an original auto 30 years ago I decided to covert my latest series 2 to automatic. It was no mean feat as I had to widen the tunnel,adapt the gearbox mounts, have new brake pedal, different centre pipe on the exhaust, kick down cable, adapt the accelerator linkage and new prop shaft.

When I finally got it all running I found out the reverse gear was gone so after minutes of deliberation i ripped it all out and put the manual back in. If your going to go to the trouble of doing it then I reckon you may as well put the V6 in and have more usable power.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Jon, thanks a lot for mentioning the brake pedal. Now it's going to drive me crazy till I find mine!!!! I know I have one, but it's been years since I've seen it. At least I know which garage to search. When I find it, I'll take a picture of it for my album. Then I'll hang it on the wall, as art, until I need it. Jeff

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jon, thanks a lot for mentioning the brake pedal.

Reading this I suddenly have a sinking feeling regarding my SIV V6 project. Did the SIV automatic have the attachment points for a clutch pedal? The car is nowhere near my home, so I can't easily go check. I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed this before, but ...

howard

Donation Time
I've driven my 1592cc SIV automatic for years (when it ran acceptable, which has nothing to do with the tranny), and always found it a real kick to get around town in. Everybody's always remarking about power loss on the automatics vs. standard cars- maybe it's true, I've not personally compared- but the automatic is relaxing to drive You're not stressing and shifting/clutching, etc. Rather like driving a big go-cart around town!

That said, I probably wouldn't attempt any distance driving on the interstate. At least, not without overdrive of some sort.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Reading this I suddenly have a sinking feeling regarding my SIV V6 project. Did the SIV automatic have the attachment points for a clutch pedal? The car is nowhere near my home, so I can't easily go check. I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed this before, but ...

My first Alpine an original auto I converted to a manual so yes it does have the correct mounting points for the clutch

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor

Hi Jim

The clutch and brake pedal attaching points are the same for the automatic tranny cars as the manual tranny cars.