• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by V_Mad

1. My V6 Alpine

My V6 Alpine

My car by the river Thames.
  2. V_Mad

V6 Conversion in the UK

Not been here for a long time guys. When I had a V6 Alpine I used to post regularly and enjoyed the company here. Just got distracted with my other loves. Reason for posting is that if anyone in the UK wants some help/advice with their V6 Ford 2.8L conversion, I am willing to help if I...
  3. V_Mad

Stromberg rebuild

Many problems with CD carbs are caused by sticking pistons. IMO there is nothing wrong with using a fine abrasive to remove any high spots. Make sure you thoroughly flush out afterwards to remove any grit.
  4. V_Mad

Stoplight Wire Gauge

When I worked in electronic equipment design, we used a lot of stranded cable and wire which I think is called hookup wire in the USA. It was always spec'd as 'No of conductors'/'No of strands' in metric sizes (although I remember some imperial (inch) sizes in the sixties). We used 7/0.2...
  5. V_Mad

Stoplight Wire Gauge

For stop lamps these are 2 x 21Watts, which takes about 3.5 amps, so 9/0.3 auto wire should be OK. In the UK we use wire that has strands of copper wire 0.3mm thick, and select the number of strands depending on load. 9/0.3 will be OK for up to 5.75 amps. Not sure how that relates to your...
  6. V_Mad

Progress on my Tiger...

I like the minimalist look under the hood; no ugly wires showing there! What a difference, I will definitely be learning a lesson form that!
  7. V_Mad

Steering rack oil

You could undo the gaiter, and just pull it out at the top; stick an oil tube in put somne in that way. Use a bottle with a pull out filler tube with an extension tube connected. Don't overfill as it will burst the gaiters, and/or leak out.
  8. V_Mad

Rear Leaf Springs

Did the extra leaf solve the problem of sagging? I was thinking of getting a spare pair of springs to add a leaf to mine.
  9. V_Mad

Brake Servo - which is correct?

Nick, strip the unit down and check the hydaulic bores before you invest in a rebuild kit. if they are too corroded to polish up, its not worth trying to rebuild. I polished the two bores using some fine wet/dry paper and some brake fluid with a power drill. I finished off with a nice fine...
  10. V_Mad

Brake Servo - which is correct?

WSM124 lists Girling for the Alpine and Lockheed for the Rapier. Rebuilding the Girling units is a bit hit and miss, and the rebuild kits are not ideal. If you decide to hav a go Nick, let me know and I will pass on what I know, based on two rebuilds so far.
  11. V_Mad

Valve Clearances (lash)

Thanks Mike, any help with that would be appreciated.
  12. V_Mad

Valve Clearances (lash)

I have read the WSM several times, to see what the procedure is for setting valve lash, and I am more confused than before. There seems to be two methods depending on whether the tappets are full of oil or not. The problem I have is the variability of clearance due to loss of oil from...
  13. V_Mad

Rust Inhibitors

Talking of antifreeze, I recently flushed the Tiger cooling system with some proprietary cleaner, then after several cloudy flushes, it finally came clear, and I refilled with water and antifreeze. I think most of the crud came from the block as I had previously flushed the rad many times...
  14. V_Mad

Rust Inhibitors

If you can find a regular antifreeze in this day and age that is not suitable for use with aluminium, maybe you should offer it to the science museum! Do tell us more about the names of the products with corrosive salt ingedients!!
  15. V_Mad

Idle oil pressure

I would say yes, it is due to the thicker oil. The upper figure has not changed, possibly because that is the release pressure of release valve.