• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by tigretr

1. tigretr

Difference between an Alpine and a Tiger in the Engine Compartment

Dyno session with my previous turbo yielded 182RWHP and 172 ftlb torque.
  2. tigretr

Your encouragement is much appreciated. I know I know, the dct thing is a big one. Wish there was a doable answer. I have given very serious thought to taking the ring and pinion out of a dct and installing an output shaft so I could use a driveshaft. Unfortunately that ring and pinion are...
  3. tigretr

The big reason I chose this motor is because it is only 19 inches from crank centerline to the top of the motor. Just like the Alpine engine. The intake even turns down towards the front of the motor which helps even more. I would never have done it if I needed to modify the hood line. I...
  4. tigretr

Bill, I totally agree. Don't get me wrong, there are some things that are worrying me. Like I am pretty sure the valve cover lands right about on the axis of the steering column. And where my brake master is going to go. Or how I am going to move the bolt points of the cross member on the...
  5. tigretr

In the Fortunately these cars are made of metal. And just as Shelby did to fit the 260/289 for the Tiger, I plan to cut, move, weld, and paint. I will have to get creative in places, but for the most part everything is negotiable. Tight quarters might be an understatement, but that is the...
  6. tigretr

My motor is already using 84mm JE pistons (1796cc), Carrillo rods, ported, polished head, enlarged ports, bigger valves, 12psi boost, roller cam/lifters, roller rockers. You name it, I've done it. The bigger turbo I just put on will definitely help the motor breath better as the small turbo I...
  7. tigretr

Thanks for all your replies. They pretty much verified what I could deduce from photos on the internet. Gonna give my motor one more chance before moving on to the next challenge. Although I must say even that thought hurts my heart.
  8. tigretr

So I have been thinking about engines lately......... as to which may be the next generation implant into my car. My turbo motor is awesome, and I just put a slightly larger turbo on it to unchoke it... which I believe unleashed a new animal (needs a lot of tuning). That being said, that motor...
  9. tigretr

How much do you drive?

Aladin, I live in the San Francisco Bay area. Brian
  10. tigretr

How much do you drive?

Bill, Wow, 113,000 miles. That is impressive. Sorry to hear about the end result! Glad you made it through. I did the coma thing once for 3 days. It's not recommended! Mine was bicycle and deer induced! Tom, I will definitely be in Germany next year. My wife and kids are there now. I...
  11. tigretr

How much do you drive?

That is awesome. I am glad to hear some of you are getting some good miles in. I am hoping to make some life changes pretty soon to free up more time for life outside of work, especially my car....and wife! Tom, It is great to hear from you. Nothing could keep me away from my Alpine. It is a...
  12. tigretr

How much do you drive?

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my motor after 4000 miles of very hard driving (my right foot has 2 speeds, on and off). What started as a progressively worse rear main seal leak (I have a rope seal in my 1725), devolved into a lower end blueprinting and cam bearing rebuild among...
  13. tigretr

V8 Alpine

Good looking install. I would however suggest replacing both aluminum 90 degree bends going to your radiator with an actual piece if hose. Between the aluminum tube welded to the thermostat housing and the limited amount of rubber hose in the couplings, there is nowhere for that system to...
  14. tigretr

T5 with a 1725 motor

Modern Driveline made my 8.5" clutch disc and pressure plate. There are a lot of 8.5" clutch discs for T5. I would recommend calling them or a knowledgeable aftermarket clutch/tranny shop and seeing what they recommend. Sorry the dimensions on the drawing aren't legible. I made the font...
  15. tigretr

T5 with a 1725 motor

That is a great point. I forgot to mention that my T5 is a World Class (WC) T5. Gear ratios are as follows: 1st: 3.35 2nd: 1.99 3rd: 1.33 4th: 1.00 5th: 0.73 My 7.5 inch rearend was a 3.45:1 which was a bit tall. My 9 inch rearend is now 3.70:1 which gets up and goes. The 3.45 was nice on...