• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by PETER CLAYTON

1. PETER CLAYTON

FB GROUP.

If you're not a member of the ALPINE Group on FB join us.only 12 short of 2000 members so lot of experience on the site. You may have got your independence but we forgave you and sent you the Alpine.
  2. PETER CLAYTON

Crankcase ventilation System

If you do vent to the oil filler,I would advise fitting an in line flame trap,you do not want to risk any chance of igniting the crankcase oil vapour.
  3. PETER CLAYTON

Balky Clutch

Does the new slave cylinder have the same bore size as the original? If it is a smaller diameter then throw may be excessive causing the clutch fingers to "overthrow" which could allow the pressure plate to partially retract an cause the drive plate to drag.
  4. PETER CLAYTON

No starting condition

Have you carried out the procedure that I set out earlier?
  5. PETER CLAYTON

No starting condition

Remove the wire that feeds the resister and check with a voltmeter or test light for power when the ignition is on.Should be around 12 volts. forget about the resister for the moment and connect the wire straight to the coil to rule out the resister. Are the coils 12 volt or are they for use...
  6. PETER CLAYTON

No starting condition

I am for this exercise assuming that you have no experience and I apologise if I am teaching my Granny to suck eggs, but this way I think I can cover everything. 1/ CHECK WIRE FROM "CB" CONNECTION ON COIL TO DISTRIBUTOR.Remove from points and test for continuity. 2/CHECK INTERNAL...
  7. PETER CLAYTON

rear brake problem

Bing,are you sure it's the adjusted that's the problem? It could possibly be the flexi hose is collapsing internally acting like a one way valve and not letting the fluid return to the master cylinder. To test, pump the brakes hard, (may be easier if you have an assistant to do this) and with...
  8. PETER CLAYTON

Brake fluid disappearing!!??

Just spotted this lower down under Tiger, which might be of interest. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=25454
  9. PETER CLAYTON

New Piston Rings?

Check the ring gaps . top ring 032 /024 inch second and scraper 014/009 inch. The top and scraper rings fit either way up, the second ring should be marked top, if fitted the wrong way up the oil consumption will be high.
  10. PETER CLAYTON

Solenoid wiring

This link shows the Lucas solenoid on a Triumph but the connections should be the same as yours. Large red from battery, Large black to starter motor, Brown output to ammeter, small white/red from ignition switch/start button. To test solenoid, with a fly lead from the white wire terminal...
  11. PETER CLAYTON

Tom's right in what he says, but remember when you disconnect the (service) servo that you will have to push VERY hard on the brake to stop.If you are going to replace the servo fit a later Lockheed unit. They are easier to find and usually cheaper.
  12. PETER CLAYTON

Most likely cause if firewall/bulkhead is dry is the brake servo. The fluid can get sucked into the vacuum chamber and then into the inlet manifold,engine and out of the exhaust. Check vacuum pipe for fluid, it should be dry inside,also in bad cases smoking exhaust and oily deposit inside tailpipe.
  13. PETER CLAYTON

window rubber trim

Would these clips from E-Bay be suitable? E-Bay item number:161669136867
  14. PETER CLAYTON

Fuel line to fuel tee series V

As I recall Mike the nuts were used on a lot of Rootes cars when I was with a dealership in the early seventies.
  15. PETER CLAYTON

Off idle miss after carb rebuild

Andrews tip is one I use only I use a spray deicer. The revs will rise as the fluid is drawn into the leak. It is more than likely a fractured gasket or a distorted carb or manifold flange. Take care when spraying around hot exhaust pipes.