• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by mikephillips

1. M

To run a tab...or not?

Yea, mine never had a tab there, and my Alpine goes back to 74 in my ownership when it still had all the original, although slightly shabby, interior.
  2. M

Fun Alpine Pictures

I'd agree with series 1. Short side window guides, doesn't have the shield below the Alpine script and fins.
  3. M

What does this part fit?

And just in case no one knows, there would be a bit of padding that the two tangs would hold in place so the window doesn't rattle against the stop when down.
  4. M

Having trouble with OIL leaks among other things

What is needed for centering the pulley in the timing cover, this means the neck that slides over the crank end needs to be centered in the hole of the timing cover. What you can do is before putting it on the car take the crank pulley and wrap a couple layers of masking tape over it until it...
  5. M

Having trouble with OIL leaks among other things

By front crankshaft void I assume you mean the timing cover. The pulley needs to be exactly centered since it has no seal and relies on a reverse scroll cut into the pulley shaft to catch the oil when running and throw it back into the timing cover. If it isn't, then you can have leaks there...
  6. M

Fun Alpine Pictures

Here's one I stumbled across, the station is in Toronto according the web. Early 60s.
  7. M

1965 late Series IV Oddities with Windshield Frame and Body

It seems for a short period of time they moved to 5 studs and did change the body at some point to accommodate it. But then went back to 7 studs, my guess being they found in normal use perhaps it was flimsy. Mine, B94103566, has a single stud sides and only one body hole for it and I've had...
  8. M

Happy Halloween!!

We had cold weather here in SW Ohio, 30s out and even flurries. My reward for handing out candy?? Was sick in bed Wednesday with a cold.....
  9. M

California CARB survey

Might very well be going up with the way prices of new cars are skyrocketing You see programs like MotorWeek where they will call a price in the 40s, 50s and higher as good values. And there are pickup trucks pushing into the 6 digit price range.
  10. M

Replacing clutch slave cylinder

Easy way to remember is that you want the slave to push on the bellhousing when you press the pedal, not pull on the bolts and housing. And when on the other side the pushrod is too short to disengage the clutch.
  11. M

Turn Signal Issue

I've run extra grounds for the tail and side lamps as well. For the taillamps a wire from the top mount to one of the bolts for the rear gas tank mounts. For the side lamps from one of the mounting screws up to the clip where the head lamp grounds attach.
  12. M

Which brakes do I have?

Yea, the cog and slotted adjusting screw don't work very well, they seize up fairly quickly. I suspect that is why Rootes went back to the manual adjust to finish production. I gather MGC, which used the same setup, also ditched it pretty quick.
  13. M

Which brakes do I have?

And for those who wonder, on the manual adjust rear brakes the lever for the emergency brake is the same on both sides and there is no toothed adjusting wheel on the wheel cylinder, where the self adjust arms are handed and you see the toothed adjuster on the cylinder.
  14. M

SV popping out of Third Gear

And the reason it happens is that if the groove for the fork, or the fork, or both, are worn then it may not move far enough to completely engage when shifting gears.
  15. M

Happy 60th B-Day to my Sunbeam

I've got a couple more years to reach the car being 60, But this time next year I'll have had the Alpine for 50 years. Where does the time go??.....