• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by jumpinjan

1. jumpinjan

Clutch won't disengage

Make sure the two alignment pins are in place between engine block & bellhousing. Jan
  2. jumpinjan

Diff oil

Get some oil that is recommended for hypoid differentials. You want an oil that says API Services GL-5. Jan
  3. jumpinjan

Clutch won't disengage

I think something is in a bind, like maybe the pilot bushing & input shaft and the mating surfaces of engine block & bellhousing.. I don't think the clutch plate can be installed backwards, I don't ever remember it possibly fitting backwards. If you have the 7.5" clutch installed, make sure the...
  4. jumpinjan

Gas Tank Repair/Sealant

The inside surface of the tanks need to be cleaned to bare metal. In Cincinnati, there's a metal cleaning business (originally it was a "Ready-Strip" business). We send our tanks there to have them "dipped", as they say. They also sell the "Red-Kote" sealer. So, for the past 25 years I have used...
  5. jumpinjan

Heater Valve

I have taken a few apart and you can't fix them. The problem is the rubber seal (looks like a diagram) that seals the small control rod. It splits and coolant blows out between the rod & round housing opening. My Tiger's original valve let go at a car show last year. I made a new one from...
  6. jumpinjan

Anyone know whose Harrington this is?

It looks like it has the early HLM knee bolsters on the doors Jan
  7. jumpinjan

Door hinge renew

I don't remember the hardness of the drill rod that I used. I bought the drill rod & drill & reamer all from McMaster-Carr. I drill & tap a 6/32 thread for a set-screw at the hinge bottom to lock the pin in place. So, in the future the hinge can be re-lube. If the original pins cannot be remove...
  8. jumpinjan

Door hinge renew

The new holes are a precision sized hole using a drill then reamed to within 0.001" of the diameter. The pin material needs to be precise thats why I use drill rod. Those replacement door pins that they sell in the auto parts store are not precise enough. Also, you need to replace the same...
  9. jumpinjan

Door hinge renew

Most of the pins will NOT come out with heat or whatever. I repair mine using drill rod as the new pin and drill & ream the hole. These are best done on a milling machine with a good machine vice. Jan
  10. jumpinjan

No spark frustration

Hmm, you see a spark across the points? If so, that might be a heavy load the points are seeing. Like a low primary resistance in the coil. What does the coil ohm-out to be? I would check the resistance on the coil's primary to start. Jan
  11. jumpinjan

Front end Alignment

I did the alignment on my Tiger using the affordable alignment tools I bought from Summit. There is NO shop that will touch an old car that uses shims, like the old days (I was told that, so I did it myself) Jan
  12. jumpinjan

Rear Frame Rails

I use Solidworks software anytime I make something from sheetmetal. Jan
  13. jumpinjan

April 5+6 2024- Columbia, SC Invasion.

Very, very nice Alpine. I like the Thistle gray series I color. Jan
  14. jumpinjan

Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans

Thanks for letting us know, Reg. You're in our prayers, I hope things get better. Jan
  15. jumpinjan

HLM project progress...

The early cars also had corrosion, from some rivets(?), at the rocker/fender seams for some reason (One could see 3-4 bumps in that area, and looks like rivet heads). If you noticed, Harrington used a body filler with heavy ladened, metallic powder. It looked like powdered aluminum and was...