• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Bill Blue

1. B

X frame repair sections.

Wow! That's some set back. What'cha trying to do, win the shortest driveshaft award? Bill
  2. B

No spark frustration

Solenoids can be something to deal with. I had an uncle whose1975ish AMC would suddenly die, but would always restart. Several thousand dollars went into mechanics pockets, along with new carb, fuel tank, lines, you name it. One night as he started it up to go home, the starter just kept...
  3. B

Side to side wheel base

Didn't setup the car, same as the drivers at the United, who never had a clue what were doing. By and large, the wheels were pointed straight ahead. My car was off so different, the wheels had to be pointing way off center in order to be even with the fender. When I moved up to 15" wheels...
  4. B

Side to side wheel base

If you are looking for a cheap, good time, the next time you see a group of Alpines, compare the distance from the front of the front wheels to the lower edge of the fender. Do this and compare distance, side to side. Then compare vehicles. To make it doubly interesting, have an fellow...
  5. B

LS Engine Alpine

Well, the firewall stiffeners are gone. I wonder how much other stuff got binned besides the boot lift assist springs. Probably why it has been on the market so many times. These cats are so different, I learned when I had an old timer body man paint our car, that any "Hot Rod" from a newby...
  6. B

Hardtop color?

Speaking of preference, I prefer cream, that is a bit on the light side. A sort of a goes good with most any color the car might be painted color, while still being it own (not white or black) color. Bill
  7. B

Need to clutch when activating overdrive?

History says you are dealing with a delicate mechanism, utmost care is not misdirected. Especially when shifting OUT of overdrive. Bill
  8. B

Massive Sunbeam Hoard in Oregon

All of the above seems to be true. The really good news is that it does not appear to be a collection of rust. Bill
  9. B

April 5+6 2024- Columbia, SC Invasion.

Yes, that would practically eliminate most of the really good creations. My car, with brake system parts from six different cars plus fabricated parts and all the Alpine parts modded beyond recognition, could rein supreme. Bill
  10. B

There's no accounting for ______.

Often the engine (block, heads, intake manifold) all fit. It is the stuff you have to bot on that creates the problem. Stuff like carbs, air cleaners, AC pumps, distributors create the mischief. On my first swap, the Pinto engine, I had to use a hood scoop because the turbo sat about 1/4" too...
  11. B

April 5+6 2024- Columbia, SC Invasion.

Maybe you should make it 21. Made our hotel reservation yesterday. Lot's going on here - don't know which car we'll be bringing or even if events will transpire that will make us cancel the trip. But we're trying. Bill
  12. B

Triumph TR6 Brake calipers

Any insight as to the extent of the rotor/caliper fit up? There is plenty of meat in the hub to set the rotor outward at least 3/8" inch. I say 3/8" because that is what I did to my hubs when installing GM brakes 20 years and 115,000 miles ago. Bill
  13. B

Front caliper issue

Yes. Whatever is preventing the piston from retracting will prevent it from retracting when everything is buttoned up and on the road. Bill
  14. B

Brakes long pedal

I failed to identify the problem piston. It is in the master cylinder, not the caliper. Bill
  15. B

Brakes long pedal

Jay, the brakes are plumbed so that front brakes are on the same circuit, rear brakes on a separate circuit. So unequal pressure would be between the front/rear brakes, not left/right. Bill