• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by beamertwo

1. beamertwo

Dellorto DHLA 40F and Deronico D20 manifold

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever encountered this problem: I have a pair of Dellorto DHLA 40F carbs and a Deronico D20 manifold. The problem is that while the lower manifold to carb studs fit perfectly, the top two are just a little out. It doesn't appear to be bent studs causing...
  2. beamertwo

Brake woes

This issue has me tearing my hair out... Earlier this year I replaced basically everything in the brakes: new caliper pistons and seals, new master cylinder seals, new flexible hoses, new rear linings and seals and an after market servo. The brakes work OK but the pedal travel is very long (so...
  3. beamertwo

Alpine Rear hub seals

During the full brake rebuild of my Series 2 Alpine, I also replaced the rear hub seals (the right hand side was leaking). After putting everything together the right hand hub is still leaking. I have read the postings regarding the fitting of a sleeve to the hub, but was wondering if a simpler...
  4. beamertwo

Brake Booster SV

Ok, what I really want to know is if the servo is not of an appropriate type, will it make the pedal travel longer?
  5. beamertwo

Brake Booster SV

Can someone tell me the bore size on the original Alpine servos?
  6. beamertwo

Brakes won't bleed!

I have just completed a full brake rebuild - new caliper pistons, flexible hoses, booster and seals throughout, but I am having trouble bleeding them. I have gone around the car 4 times, twice using a one-way valve and twice using a borrowed compressor vacuum system. While there is some "pedal"...
  7. beamertwo

Vin numbers

Just to clarify, the car is not mine, I am fielding a question posted via the SOCNSW website. The car the plate is attached to appears to be a Series 4. In answer to Don's question, yes, Rootes vehicles were brought into Australia in CKD form - although I don't believe that any Sceptres (which...
  8. beamertwo

Vin numbers

But in this case it is on the ID plate:
  9. beamertwo

Vin numbers

I wonder if anyone can help. I have fielded an enquiry on the SOCNSW website from an Alpine owner trying to get more information about his car. The number is B31275007 XSO. I am wondering if this is the incorrect plate for the car, since, as far as I know B312 numbers were assigned to Humber...
  10. beamertwo

caliper tips out there?

Thanks for the help and comments, Toyanvil and Barry. We're hoping for a quieter summer this time. It was more than a little unnerving watching the progress of two huge fires - one approaching from the North and one approaching from the South and our place in between. We could clearly see the...
  11. beamertwo

caliper tips out there?

I wonder why this is the case when it appears that all other figures are in lb/ft.
  12. beamertwo

caliper tips out there?

Perseverance paid off - once I got the technique correct, it was pretty easy. Now I have to work out how to torque the bolts to 720 lb/ft and 540 lb/ft when my torque spanner only goes to 160 lb/ft ...
  13. beamertwo

caliper tips out there?

Toyanvil, I notice that you have washers for your caliper bolts - my calipers did not have any fitted.
  14. beamertwo

caliper tips out there?

My calipers are split, the grooves are clean, I have tried to fit them both lubricated and dry, pistons installed and uninstalled, with no success. I wonder if the dust shields that I have are just crappy - the section that is meant to go into the groove does not come out square, but is angled...