• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Alpine James

1. A

1967 SV for Sale

Selling my 1967 SV. Located in Calgary, Canada. Have one too many. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1429010401 Can call/text 403 540-8550 Thanks, James
  2. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Thanks, That is more or less how I am planning to do it. I also have a fuel pump wire that runs down the firewall and then back near the tranny that I will match up. Regarding the of switch, I don't know that the shims were the problem. I think the switch was just sticky and stuck in the closed...
  3. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Hi all, Now that the 3rd winter is over I have been able to get back to the garage. Had some issues trying to get the OD switch out to check until I found the access panel on the top of the transmission panel buried under carpet insulation, backing and whatever. Was able to get the switch out...
  4. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

The back-up lights I had never really worried about, and havn't seen much info on them or a reference in the WSM. I am guessing there may be a switch on the tranny but I cant recall seeing or finding one .
  5. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Thanks, I missed Mikes photo, which shows what I have. That would have saved a bit....... So I think I should be able to get at the switch. Wasn't sure how exactly how it works but an illustration in my SII manual shows what I think is similar. I am guessing the switch is spring loaded so that...
  6. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

If the switch is faulty or simply out of adjustment, I am guessing that it would be difficult at best to repair with the transmission still in the car.
  7. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

I am not sure what vehicle the tranny originally came from. I got it with a SIV but it was not original for that car. I believe it is a later syncro version, Reverse down to the right. It was also somewhat different in size than a early OD tranny I had from an old SII. When I put the tranny in...
  8. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Upon further investigation, The switch in question has 4 tabs but there appears to be only 2 contacts as noted by Mike. The switch is located on the right side (Passenger) of the tranny forward of the solenoid and I can find nothing on the other side, but there is a lot of stuff in the way...
  9. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

OK, to update and clarify I was able to confirm the solenoid is operating. But the problem as I see it is that no matter what gear or neutral I choose, the solenoid actuates and indicator lamp lights when the OD switch is enabled and does not de-actuate when the gearbox is moved to 1st or 2nd...
  10. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Hi All It has finally warmed up enough for me to get back in the garage so I had a go at the OD wiring. It all seemed quite straightforward but there seems to be a bit of a glitch. When I went to hook up the wires to the OD switch there appeared to be only 2 tabs and I figured it didn't matter...
  11. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

But if your going to get burned, it will be by the 5%!
  12. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Hi all, So here is where I am now. I don't have any of the original harness or parts so it is all going to be new but not as per original. I have found a local source for the Lucas SRB111 relay and will modify it per Tom's instructions. I can drill a hole in the dash for a new light of which...
  13. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

OK, I did see that diagram after I posted. So I will go ahead with Tom's solution. I don't have any sort of relay or the column switch so I was goin to use the switch previously mentioned by Jim and a new modified relay. I am hoping that I can source both those parts locally along with the...
  14. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

OK, So what I found was this, which would seem to be the correct part but without seeing a schematic...... https://www.bpnorthwest.com/relay-6ra-type-lucas-brand.html Is it possible that the once hard to find part is now being manufactured again?
  15. A

Overdrive Wiring ect.

Hi all, Thanks for the feedback. It all seems quite straight forward but I do have one question. Tom, your modified drawing shows a 4 terminal relay with the added diode and resistor, but from I find, the 6RA is a 5 terminal relay as per WSM 145. Thanks, James