• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

woodruff key replacement

Gitsmart

Donation Time
maybe later today or tomorrow I'll be replacing the woodruff keys with the hardened keys I got from Jim. what is the procedure for this, any tips or tricks.

TIA

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Get the kind with the dog bone.

You'll know when you see it.

Good luck.

Eric

Totally agree. This is the sort you want (found on eBay here*):

!B1wZpOgB2k~$(KGrHqYOKjQE)UfLJHN+BMfv!!wb2!~~_3.JPG

* I have no relation to seller. Caveat Emptor.

harryholbay

Donation Time
Woodruff keys

Hi Guys,
Sorry to bust in,,
How do I get in touch with Jim? and will he post hardened woodruff keys to the UK?
Thanks, Mick.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mick,

I don´t think you have to import them, since they are a standard size key, used in industrial applications, like tractors and such.

Jose

Hi Guys,
Sorry to bust in,,
How do I get in touch with Jim? and will he post hardened woodruff keys to the UK?
Thanks, Mick.

Gitsmart

Donation Time
Hi Mick,

I don´t think you have to import them, since they are a standard size key, used in industrial applications, like tractors and such.

Jose

well it wasn't easy but they're off!

the right side took most of the day, tightening the puller and giving it a couple of wacks with a short 4lb sledge, tip of the day! leave the nut on the shaft! could have been a disaster, 1/2 way through the ordeal I'm thinking this puller is on there pretty tight, if it flies off it's going right to the 1/4 panel of my 67 mustang, so I grabbed the fold up engine hoist and put it between the alpine and the mustang, six hours later I give the puller a half turn and wack it hard with the hammer, the puller and the hub went flying like a rocket into the engine hoist and made the sound of a church bell! the left side took 15 minutes. Now if I had left the nut on the shafts my threads wouldn't be mushroom'd. LEAVE THE NUTS ON THE SHAFT :)

I'm hoping I can get the shafts straightened out tomorrow at a machine shop, the bearings look and feel good. all the bolts were loose on the ring gear, so I replaced them one by one with lock tight and a lock washer.