• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

No Spark

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Having a @#!! of a time trying to get spark after installing my engine. Have power to the coil when cranking and when switching to run through the resistor. New coil, points and condenser, but no spark.
Just wondering,,, when setting static at 8 degrees BTDC should the points just be starting to open, or where should they be? I've set them at 15 thow with the distributor as it was before the semi-rebuild I did. Perhaps it has been bumped or shifted slightly, hence I have open points at 8 degrees.
Did not remove the timing chain so crank and cam should still be in sync, Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Bob

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Makes sure the connection in the distributor where the HT lead and the condenser connect at the points is
insulated. If it's not you won't get any spark as that grounds the power there. You have to make sure the plastic
is through the two leads and not touching the stud.

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
When you installed the points did you get the plastic insulator and wires in the right place ? Very common mistake. Will leave you without spark.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
All above is very good advice. Once you’ve checked to be certain you’ve got power at the points and that make-and-break is happening, the next thing I’d check is your rotor… there are a ton of bad ones out there, particularly bad are those with a rivet.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Checking for spark at the points, is that just a visual thing?
And ground should be checked where exactly?
Cond. and HT leads are insulated with the nylon insulator.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Checking for spark at the points, is that just a visual thing?" Yes, in the dark it is. Otherwise, you can use an ohm meter between them, or just check for voltage across them.
"And ground should be checked where exactly?" It's that flopsy cloth-covered wire between the breaker plate and the distributor body (photo below).
Cond. and HT leads are insulated with the nylon insulator. Good.

images

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The engine to body ground(s) were reinstalled with the engine installation? The trans to body ground specifically and some might've had another at the firewall, IIRC. Small possibility, but a maybe.

Try to see if you have spark from the coil itself, before the trip to the distributor. That would help pinpoint if the issue is a problem in the switching or the high tension spark delivery.

Just a thought,

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Checking for spark at the points, is that just a visual thing?
And ground should be checked where exactly?
Cond. and HT leads are insulated with the nylon insulator.

Yep, just have power on and manipulate the points open/close with a small screwdriver to see if you get a spark at the points.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
some stuff to work on for a Sunday afternoon. I'll have a beer if I find the problem, maybe 6 if I don't.
Cheers

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Update. So I put the no spark issue aside for a while and started in on a little body repair. Today I had the appraiser show up for a change in insurance companies for my Alpine and XJS. Mentioned to him about the no spark issue. He suggested we look at it after he finished his appraisals.
about 5 minutes of diddling with the points and cap and wiring, we had spark!! Primed the SU's and the rebuilt engine fired right up, what a great feeling
And relief to get " the other woman" running.
A ps note on insurance. Been with Haggerty for 13 years, and quite satisfied, but they included an additional fee this year of $40 for evaluation service which they refused to delete. So I went searching. ended up with CAA at a much reduced rate with full coverage. Never hurts to look around.
If this ps is deemed inappropriate please feel free to delete.
Cheers

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
I live in Canada, about a 1000 miles from bobbo, and I get charged the $40.00 evaluation fee, every year. I have my newer everyday drivers with CAA insurance, never thought of CAA for the Singer, but I will now.
Hope to get to meet many of you at the United in Oakville, Ontario.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Do they come out and inspect your car?
I've only had Hagerty a couple years but there has not been a fee like that (in the USA)
No, they have never inspected my car, they have never seen it. They just ask how much insurance I want on it. Complete transaction is done by phone.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
For the no spark issue, seems I had spark at the points, after I swapped out the little ground wire, but the high tension from coil to cap wasn't in far enough.
Haggerty, never has asked foe an
appraisal and never asked to see the cars, but this is the first time they added this " Haggerty Value Analysis" fee of $40.00
See you at the United. Won't have my car there as it's too far behind to have ready.
Cheers