• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5 with a 1725 motor

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I sure don't know of anyone. IF you take on the project, document it and pass it on....

There have been several to swap out for a Toyota 5 speed. George Coleman is one Alpine owner that is pleased.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know of one Alpine that has a T-5 behind a 1725.

I don't know who originally put it in.

Yet.

Dave?

DW

Mag0152

Bronze Level Sponsor
DanR
Would you have any dimension or template for the modification of the transmission tunnel

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If for the T5 behind a Sunbeam Alpine engine, no.

I would think very little if any modification would be required.

I do have several stock Alpine bellhousings that would be available for someone doing a T5 swap. The unknown at present is, what is involved.

The mod required for doing the V6 with the T5 is because of the need for the Mutt II Bellhousing and utilizing an external hyd release cylinder.

Mag0152

Bronze Level Sponsor
DanR
I intend to use my alpine bellhousing mated with a 5/8 thick adapter plate to the T5, since the T5 front shaft is about 1/2 inch longer than the alpine transmission. I will see when I get my T5 in a few weeks, which should be from a 1995 V6 3.8 mustang. Projects…projects…

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have you located in Cañada. I could ship a spare Alpine bellhousing if you don't have one to play with in case there are any modifications.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I intend to use my alpine bellhousing mated with a 5/8 thick adapter plate to the T5, since the T5 front shaft is about 1/2 inch longer than the alpine transmission.
Just a thought: The T5 front shaft has to be turned down to fit into the Ford 2.8 flywheel. Maybe it could be shortened to work with the Alpine? Which brings up another question: what will you be doing about a clutch and flywheel?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just a thought: The T5 front shaft has to be turned down to fit into the Ford 2.8 flywheel. Maybe it could be shortened to work with the Alpine? Which brings up another question: what will you be doing about a clutch and flywheel?

Jim, I believe it a misnomer to say the T5 shaft needs to be turned down to fit the Mutt Flywheel.... Reason I have never done it and all work well.

As for the clutch and flywheel, I also believe they can easily be mated.

Probably utilize the stock slave cylinder as is. The disc might be the bad guy here. I have one hanging on the wall and will do some fittin' with one of my T5's. Stay tuned,

Mag0152

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have you located in Cañada. I could ship a spare Alpine bellhousing if you don't have one to play with in case there are any modifications.
Thanks for the offer. Apparently I could use the alpine bellhousing as is with the fork, bearing and slave.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Probably utilize the stock slave cylinder as is. The disc might be the bad guy here. I have one hanging on the wall and will do some fittin' with one of my T5's. Stay tuned,

Dan,

If MAG0152 is doing this for a 1725 with the original 7 1/2 inch clutch setup, then the disk will almost certainly be a challenge.

If the parts can be found, then a change to a series IV flywheel, pressure plate, release arm and stand would allow an 8.5 inch disk to be used. Still too small I think.

The release bearings use differing methods of operation due to different ways the release bearings are retained. Not an insurmountable issue, but on the other hand, maybe not straight forward if expecting reliability of the finished conversion.

The T5 front shaft has to be turned down to fit into the Ford 2.8 flywheel.

Jim,

IIRC, the trimming you're thinking of was being done to use Jose's "pilot adapter" with the later, longer shaft T5's that were becoming popular for use. Someone soon pointed out the adapter was no longer needed in the v6 conversion when using the longer shaft T5's.

Hope this helps,

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a teaser picture of the Alpine Bellhousing to T-5 trans mod. (this is the limit of Alpine engine to T-5 pics I have, so far).

As far as I know, the biggest challenge may be finding the best T-5 tailhousing to fit in an Alpine.

Common New T-5s have the Mustang tailhousing, it may put the shifter too far back.

The next common (New) tailhousing may be the S-10 T-5 , but that may put the shifter too far forward. DW

AlpineHeader04.JPG

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
BTW, there are T-5 adapter plates (several types) to put a T-5 in place of a Mustang 4 speed, that may be the ticket for an Alpine install.

t5ap.jpg