• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crank Bolt Replacement

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Hi all,

I'm replacing the timing cover in my 1600 and just removed the crank pulley. I used some extensions and a torque wrench on a castellated nut and out came a stud. Is it recommended to replace this combo with a bolt or reuse the original hardware?

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've never seen a stud with nut as original equipment in the nose of an Alpine crank in the near 50 years I've messed with them. Only a bolt with a handcrank engagement or a bolt with a thicker hex head. So you seem to have something someone replaced in the past.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The studs were usually in the earlier cars, at least that's what I've seen. I did recently pick up
a 1725 and it had the aluminum nut on it with the stud( it's a rather short one), but that's removed
and a bolt and new balancer will take its place. The nuts are available from Sunbeam Specialties
and Classic Sunbeam.
Cheers!
Steve

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
The studs were usually in the earlier cars, at least that's what I've seen. I did recently pick up
a 1725 and it had the aluminum nut on it with the stud( it's a rather short one), but that's removed
and a bolt and new balancer will take its place. The nuts are available from Sunbeam Specialties
and Classic Sunbeam.
Cheers!
Steve
Did it have a thick washer with it in lieu of a tab washer?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
No, it had a tab washer on it. I have seen plenty with thick washers though. Be sure to use
some loctite on the threads when reinstalling. Just a little extra insurance. The blue stuff should
be sufficient.

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
No, it had a tab washer on it. I have seen plenty with thick washers though. Be sure to use
some loctite on the threads when reinstalling. Just a little extra insurance. The blue stuff should
be sufficient.

Thanks for the info! It's a thick washer with two smaller holes in it.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Be sure to use some loctite on the threads when reinstalling. Just a little extra insurance. The blue stuff should be sufficient.

Yep, but for goodness sake do NOT use the red stuff. You need to apply 500F to release the red stuff if you ever want it off again, so that's a non-starter when it comes to the crank.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
They have a habit of loosening up while driving. That and the aluminum threads in
the nut tend to strip.

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Bought a replacement bolt and tab washer from sunbeam specialties. Is the stock stack-up just bolt and tab washer, or is there another washer in the mix. I have a flat washer that was on the stud/nut combo that I mentioned originally, so not sure if that's part of the stack too.