• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Floor insulation

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
What's the consensus on whether the area behind the seats needs sound/heat insulation?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5183.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5183.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24

mikephillips

Donation Time
Personally mine aren't back there. But I will also say I run normally with the top down so if there is any extra noise it isn't noticeable. And I haven't really noticed heat as an issue.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Personally mine aren't back there. But I will also say I run normally with the top down so if there is any extra noise it isn't noticeable. And I haven't really noticed heat as an issue.
When I got my current Alpine it had horrible grey carpets glued to the floor. Spent a couple of days tearing it out and wire brushing the floors. Two coats of pot 15 and two packs of Evercoat q pads! With a hardtop the drone gets to me!

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
One maybe, one yes, can't see that is would hurt.

Now that brings up another issue, carpet, glued, loose, screwed???

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you want a quiet ride try Dynamat (please no Eastwood), then a couple coats of Lizard Skin.

I do all my vehicles that way.

My Blue Boy is quieter than my wife's Toyota.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We put the aluminium faced rubber heat shield material along the outside of the transmission tunnel under the car. Then we use the mouldable bitumen sheets on the floors where you step and then 4mm Silent Coat or Dynamat on the bulkhead, inside the doors, boot, under the bonnet etc.

The end result its a very civilised car with minimal unwanted noise. The doors close with a lovely clunk and the whole car sounds 'together' with nothing rattling or sounding loose.

Tim RP1120953.JPG P1140180.JPG P1140184.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
We put the aluminium faced rubber heat shield material along the outside of the transmission tunnel under the car.

Tim, Would you please provide the manufacture/part number for the materiel you use if you can please......I am always trying to find "something better", perchance this is better than the aluminum shield I have recently purchased.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan,
We put this on over three years ago and it has recently dropped off of the E-Bay purchase memory so I can't give you the details of the under car material. I remember that I bought it because it stressed how very strong the adhesive was. Our preferred material for most of the car is Silent Coat 4mm (which is advertised all over E-Bay).

Jan,
You might be right but we put the sound deadening along the tunnel to keep the cars as quiet as we can inside. With the Automatic one there is also the question of heat. The BW box gets very warm in summer so being able to stop it from heating up the inside of the car excessively is very useful. The car is much more comfortable on hot days now.

Tim R