• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts car in Akron, Ohio

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
1961 Sunbeam Alpine | eBay

Potentially a lot of good parts. Description says "Extensive RUST to the frame". I never saw a frame almost completely gone.
Question- Would it be safe on a dolly? I know a trailer would be best but would be too $$.

E0M0ryXAkir1Nlssf9dE2qmdzATPCxueCLjCLoft4tWbytj9nk2IDFJHoaFSpOD3kVnf_-jMNdYRvwR4J5FKyemIg9hUXjonZC0UnV0zbpAHq5RDkEtbpZTQ4Z5QgKpxHIO7HV82CKTQQlNPEg1nEmWO99y-wqLqkZX1-Xf7aYIt4CMWAuKDiDkm3YbnQqYJ9EfXXQ6553SCVlue_FElkHuoT6aFhJB69KtlgRkqZJOKH852YOX4o4hE3eVgRlMDSMJy1rRTcPTmra--A19wkCuU4xrGB1zTG9SomhI7XL1sQZrP70tYbrbGuSdV9R3nj60Zmpxp649e0uVzr5LMXdp2uetszLRCBnZNnV7MvN6GsEI9ZDMCOPnamzxLhKH1QSe5JLOyePfTfJGloSnWIHrTZpUQjAJ13loP4qZCxGIspDmJt9RXuhH9x39KPSj3HuGmSHwuEAGY6aeooRo2dN7KLHqfjh4n3ox1tmQqXqn9eUtsW_4_6bDMtStErix5C3NEk1tw4c7pIGVE9jUcdO2mmx9zLspCZ0skEWMH-5wymVaBesroTy79C3eHJttsJa8eHNC3fTSltrzyugmPDNXM3CvbAKrwKIvga_5dqXKSvJX-sh_xV9tICw6eCzgsqY4HlzL2JjA5eqea-v7Kl59dZ2miCNsmzUyu-w3Sogy6qPq9WAS-9e_Ep5LGwDg6F72no2unHQ9XxhgzElN62wl_=w1210-h907-no

ISYj8eyWVODSz19qjJW5HO3h7FQw2F27-a0TH6UCzAEf0z_OHea8vIyNtEvsFqpAxEisDwOlsxNWaRv-HF2vdbWV0_mBnVrhLI4JLqSuzJ5vaiGBh6MiqTJQRnGFn3Ia5ZrQoGF_dpWppiK7cXKkDlk35znIEtS7amFpOaAOZhSH9NHnCtQsEYO2RuPPj8SpBSapJZugEb7FaHpQflBqnt5jeEO9XdobMMTj3RQFYHzNVR5L18is5YEXv9mNr9lWbPpgtvL36_SRoSZBeNYmfOSxkDqIjwKafKBwFCx8B-xaKUICRz1076dyqLdcA_0jy2NrXuhXvxJfBJbXYm_9UqatLv-gwf_r11-rYHl_3V3x75aKiuGc09SQe-bik9qfr5IeVTbTP8xewfHPDu8nIK-7X-dcNdtymRBlkaBexl9jesLgPUqengIYlOQf7-7J5Y4Da11EKKhzMuNYpzzPvlS7Ult1QlEzGcKa1KsY0V58nGtpNG4y6mWqYR9MjSX5SHJCaFOU5YMfka8bAYP6PLfdaPxksctFDE8uluLAD08pKXH6XerPTrp2F3n0VhrnVvkQmP0ZaF_YkzluFGuaMd-UkKEy7tdMJ_d5svTX4Ej75m1Y_D0NYzHsu4bQv5Bkn5wiJn5PS32GhCyl7hqTMtW2FtAON3PgqrIBBAHkewCStrw-EA0AvDUsom3msqr5h4p8SSAYmWbNdK89lXH-NSMA=w1210-h907-no

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I would not think of using a tow dolly as the X member on this S2 Alpine as well as the rear spring hangers are almost rusted away.DSC04520.JPG
I just brought home this car and it was just as rusty if not worse than this Alpine and the only thing holding it together was the large cargo straps around the doors to keep it from breaking in half! With the doors open they sat 4inches below the top of the B posts. And it will never be restored, just used for parts-that's how much rust it has. That S1 Alpine has some great parts, factory hardtop with the window trim, OD, etc.
Best to use a car trailer to get it!

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
I would not think of using a tow dolly as the X member on this S2 Alpine as well as the rear spring hangers are almost rusted away.View attachment 24049
I just brought home this car and it was just as rusty if not worse than this Alpine and the only thing holding it together was the large cargo straps around the doors to keep it from breaking in half! With the doors open they sat 4inches below the top of the B posts. And it will never be restored, just used for parts-that's how much rust it has. That S1 Alpine has some great parts, factory hardtop with the window trim, OD, etc.

I agree, but the U-Haul website won't allow a car trailer for a Town & Country minivan, only a dolly. Will need to travel over 500 mi.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
John, Is the Town & Country Van yours? If so, Have you towed before ?

A light weight aluminum car trailer will pull better than a dolly IMO

I had Uhaul install a class 3 hitch rated at 3500 lbs a few years ago. I've only used it with a tow bar to pull a few cars and a small 4x8 trailer.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not an expert on trailers but A small light trailer for a vehicle should work fine..... The Alpine weighs approx 2100.

Just ensure the brakes work

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another option is to rent a truck and car trailer both from UHaul. Would be about $80, plus gas, plus $.79 per mile. The wear and tear would be on their truck/van. Although they would not really know which vehicle was actually the one that did the 500 mile trip... David

RootesRooter

Donation Time
What's the story on the red Sunbeam with what looks like Mk II Tiger wheel trim and stripes?

I would not think of using a tow dolly as the X member on this S2 Alpine as well as the rear spring hangers are almost rusted away.View attachment 24049

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another option is to rent a truck and car trailer both from UHaul.
If you go this route, as I've rented many Auto Transports from them, is to tell them it's a 1967 MGB as they don't have
Sunbeams in their system and ,of course, the clerks are clueless about most things.
Cheers,
Steve

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Sunbeams are listed on Uhaul but I even tried MG midget and the only option is a dolly. A small truck and trailer picked up from Akron and dropped off in Durham is $1162 + gas. If Picked up and dropped off locally is $75 + 1.19/mi. for over 1000 miles + gas. (checked prices today)

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
what I do is rent a 16ft box truck, then hire a local tow guy to load it in the back. I use ratchet straps crossed at the back and screw blocks to the floor in front and rear of all wheels. Then drive carefully home.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I used an open uhaul car trailer to get my alpine to tje paint shop. The track of the wheels was almost too narrow to keep from dropping a wheel in the open center of the trailer.20200515_102414.jpg