• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hello & How Maxine came to be with me...

RobinRob

Bronze Level Sponsor
My longing for a beautiful convertible started as a little girl with my Little Kiddle dolls who had a sporty yellow convertible. Over the years I refined my desire to the beautiful lines of the Sunbeam Alpine 1960-63 (love the curved window hardtop and those tail fins).... and then it happened.

My husband announced that for my 60th birthday it was time we find the car of my dreams. I think he was tired of my endless phone internet searches every time we drove anywhere.

We watched auctions. I bid on a beauty and lost. We contacted owners in states far away. Then... I joined the SAOCA and things started happening. Thanks to all who sent me links.

Early on I connected with Jerry Logan who, from what I understand, along with many others in this group was long time friend of Max Pahmeier (RIP). Jerry came into possession of Max's 1960 Series I Alpine... and through our conversations, Jerry thought that the car may be a good fit for me.

He shared with me the history of how Max bought this car new and he and his new wife drove off for their honeymoon. Over the years this Honeymoon Sunbeam was loved and restored by Max.

I fell in love with the car and her story. To honor her past (and that Maxwell Smart had a sunbeam too), her name is Maxine the Honeymoon Sunbeam and I'm honored that she is now part of my family. Thanks to Jerry for doing a beautiful job in refinishing a hard top for her.

She is in absolutely beautiful condition and I'm thankful that I'm married to a guy who understands old cars (he's had his 1969 Porsche 912 for longer than he's had me!) and we've begun my car mechanic lessons as we get Maxine into purring condition.

Thanks everyone who helped guide us along our journey to -finally- owning my dream Sunbeam.

I look forward to getting to know you in this club, our British car, and we will have plenty of questions coming your way!
~Robin

Attachments

• FBF4E569-3808-4E17-A681-D2BD64D494F8.jpeg
    FBF4E569-3808-4E17-A681-D2BD64D494F8.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 54
  • EA4CDF93-06CE-4B35-B0B7-A178F5EC6D05.jpeg
    EA4CDF93-06CE-4B35-B0B7-A178F5EC6D05.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 55
  • AD9B78C0-BC32-4DCD-86D8-464FE68469A4.jpeg
    AD9B78C0-BC32-4DCD-86D8-464FE68469A4.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Little Kiddle car.JPG
    Little Kiddle car.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 54

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Very nice Alpine! Wish you could bring it to SUNI next month-Max kept that event going every 5 or so years and it would be great to have his old Alpine at this event and share his stories.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That is a wonderful story, Robin. I am very happy you have found your car, and not just "any" car, but one with a terrific heritage. Have fun!

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great looking Alpine Robin.

Your story reminded me of something that happened at a car show a couple months ago. I had my Mediterranean Blue 66’ Alpine on display when I noticed an older, rather frail looking couple appearing to be at least in they're 70’s standing near by and just staring at the car. I asked if they liked it, at the same time they both said ‘we love it!’ And explained that many years ago they drove off from the Chapel on the way to they’re honeymoon in a Sunbeam Alpine that looked exactly like mine, color and all. The sight of it no doubt brought back memories of they’re youth. I said, well, hop in! They're eyes lit up and with the biggest grin they made they’re way slowly into the car, he on drivers side and her as passenger, no doubt just as they were many years before. After giving them awhile to reminisce I used they’er phone and took a picture of them in the car, holding hands and smiling to the camera. At that moment I don’t know who was happier, me, or them :)

I like to think that picture is now displayed on they’re mantle, perhaps next to an old and fading picture of a happy young couple on they’re wedding day.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor

Your story reminded me of something that happened at a car show a couple months ago. I had my Mediterranean Blue 66’ Alpine on display when I noticed an older, rather frail looking couple appearing to be at least in they're 70’s standing near by and just staring at the car. I asked if they liked it, at the same time they both said ‘we love it!’ And explained that many years ago they drove off from the Chapel on the way to they’re honeymoon in a Sunbeam Alpine that looked exactly like mine, color and all. The sight of it no doubt brought back memories of they’re youth. I said, well, hop in! They're eyes lit up and with the biggest grin they made they’re way slowly into the car, he on drivers side and her as passenger, no doubt just as they were many years before. After giving them awhile to reminisce I used they’er phone and took a picture of them in the car, holding hands and smiling to the camera. At that moment I don’t know who was happier, me, or them :)

I like to think that picture is now displayed on they’re mantle, perhaps next to an old and fading picture of a happy young couple on they’re wedding day.

That was awesome…

RobinRob

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very nice Alpine! Wish you could bring it to SUNI next month-Max kept that event going every 5 or so years and it would be great to have his old Alpine at this event and share his stories.
Welllllll, maybe not this year, but definitely will put it on the list for the future! I'd love to hear more Max stories. He sounds like quite a guy.

RobinRob

Bronze Level Sponsor
That was awesome…

I love this story! You definitely made their day and I bet they will talk about those moments - the honeymoon and the revisit in your car - for a long time to come.

RobinRob

Bronze Level Sponsor
That is a wonderful story, Robin. I am very happy you have found your car, and not just "any" car, but one with a terrific heritage. Have fun!
Thanks Jim! I'm so happy to have found Maxine too. My husband (aka MadMax - for Maxine) joined SAOCA so he could get in and learn from the masters. He owns a 1969 Porsche 912 and has worked on it always. Now he's mumbling about the house that he doesn't understand British cars...
I have faith he will learn and I am his understudy.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Your husband will be fine as soon as he understands that the Brits often do rather stupid things, not because it is a good way, but because it is the "proper" way. Love your car and story.

Bill

RobinRob

Bronze Level Sponsor
Your husband will be fine as soon as he understands that the Brits often do rather stupid things, not because it is a good way, but because it is the "proper" way. Love your car and story.

Bill
Ha Ha! Thanks for the insider knowledge - I will let him know. :)