• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Greasy Parts: The Perfect Solution

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
We have all dealt with greasy parts at one time or another. We have all used every chemical known to man to try and get our parts looking new again. Some of the auto store cleaners are expensive and don't work very well either. But I got a tip from a Texas shade tree mechanic who gave me the perfect solution to degreasing parts: Pine-Sol. Yup, Original Pine Sol will clean your parts like new. However, you must be patient. I usually soak grease laden parts for 24-48 hours and they come out totally degreased. A simple rinse with soapy water and a little scrubbing with a tooth brush or stiff paint brush and you have a sparkling new part. You can use the PineSol over and over again. I just strain the used liquid through cheesecloth to remove any dirt and chunks from it. And you can buy a jug of Pine-Sol that I can barely lift for under $10 at Home Depot. Trust me. Try this and you will never buy a parts cleaner again.

Rick Guest

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
As soon as I buy it, THEY will make it illegal!

OR change the formula...so it DON'T work...

DW

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks to Ricks suggestion, I now use it when cleaning brake calipers. It does a fantastic job especially
on aluminum Fiat calipers. The come in black, go out a brilliant silver!
Thanks for suggestion it Rick!
Cheers!
Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Are you sure that Tractor Supply solvent is "Stoddard Solvent", because it doesn't say it is. I have 10 gallons here I bought from the "Dayton Tool Crib" and says on the label......"Rule 66, Stoddard Solvent, DOT proper shipping name is Petroleum Naphtha". And my solvent does have a strong smell to it.
Jan

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are you sure that Tractor Supply solvent is "Stoddard Solvent", because it doesn't say it is. I have 10 gallons here I bought from the "Dayton Tool Crib" and says on the label......"Rule 66, Stoddard Solvent, DOT proper shipping name is Petroleum Naphtha". And my solvent does have a strong smell to it.
Jan

Pine Sol has a strong smell too Jan. It makes my garage smell fresh and clean
with that familiar pine scent. A bonus unintended consequence!
Rick

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan
Well, Jan, to some extent you're right to correct me, but it's near-as-darn the same stuff. Stoddard Solvent is essentially medium aliphatic solvent naphtha, with small quantities of other additives (https://haz-map.com/Agents/10706). Crown's PSC-1000 is basically the same stuff, being 95-100% medium aliphatic solvent naphtha.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any before and after photos after using Pine Sol?
Is it being used diluted?
Would it be suitable to use in an ultra sonic parts cleaner?

Thanks!
Mike

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks to Ricks suggestion, I now use it when cleaning brake calipers. I does a fantastic job especially
on aluminum Fiat calipers. The come in black, go out a brilliant silver!
Thanks for suggestion it Rick!
Cheers!
Steve

Thanks Steve. Do you have any before and after pictures you can post here? There has been a request to see before and after pics and I don’t have any unfortunately.
Rick

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Any before and after photos after using Pine Sol?
Is it being used diluted?
Would it be suitable to use in an ultra sonic parts cleaner?

Thanks!
Mike

Hi Mike.
Use full strength. I have no experience using Pine Sol in a parts cleaner but I would say no. The secret to Pine Sol’s success in removing grease is the time the part spends soaking in the liquid. A parts cleaner is used for quick cleaning. To clean parts with Pine Sol they need to soak for 24-48 hours. I have asked Steve (Sunalp) if he has pictures of his calipers to post as I don’t have any before and afters.
Rick

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here you go Rick, a greasy pair of Fiat Aluminum calipers, how I get them in and how they look after a good
soak in Pine Sol. Besides my wife hating the smell, it really works well, and is cheap! By the way, these get further treatment with
an Aluminum Brightener and a quick bead blast. They look like new!
Cheers!
Steve

IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1602.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rick passed the Pine Sol trick to me a while back.... very pleased with the results........