• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Weekend Racer" Alpine Back running!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I love the big valves, but I gotta ask... what happened to the cooling passages and why?

index.php

Shouldn’t there be more, and larger, holes, like this? (Photo borrowed from the Internet)

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just eliminated the center hole, somewhat as a test to see if it was necessary.

And because it needed to be welded up and I didn't want to fiddle with replacing that insert.

And I wanted to force the coolant to the back of the head.

I thought that center hole tends to bypass the back half of the head.

In a perfect world, I wanted the biggest hole at the back of the head,

But that is not what the head gasket has.

Also, I was of the mindset of less surfaces to corrode in the future....

It seemed to work OK, ... to a point.

One problem with the smaller holes is they tend to corrode CLOSED, ...with lack of use!

BTW, that picture is of a later head that has BIG holes for some of the head bolts.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I love the big valves, but I gotta ask... what happened to the cooling passages and why?

Kevin, the crescent watrr passages im guessing were designed to puddle water around the chamber... But they create a weak headgasket design that has a habbot of blowing the thin bridge between the cooling pasaage and the chamber...especially with more compression.

A comon mod for many years has been to wwld the cresent up and drill. You can make a custom HG with just the holes and works wonders.

I did this back in 1999 before i knew others had done similar. My high comp motor had blown several HG at the same point... The custom gasket amd head mod solved the issue

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just eliminated the center hole, somewhat as a test to see if it was necessary.

And because it needed to be welded up and I didn't want to fiddle with replacing that insert.

And I wanted to force the coolant to the back of the head.

I thought that center hole tends to bypass the back half of the head.

In a perfect world, I wanted the biggest hole at the back of the head,

But that is not what the head gasket has.

Also, I was of the mindset of less surfaces to corrode in the future....

It seemed to work OK, ... to a point.

One problem with the smaller holes is they tend to corrode CLOSED, ...with lack of use!

BTW, that picture is of a later head that has BIG holes for some of the head bolts.

Dan, orange/yellow Durex extended life coolant protects against corrosion of all metals including aluminum. Don't mix it with common "green" coolants. It will gel-up and clog the cooling system.

thumbnail

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I dusted off the WR Alpine for some track activity.

Steve Alcala is going to run it at Willow this weekend with the Cobra Club.

And I plan to run it the following weekend with VARA/LASAAC, also at Willow.

The Head guy is camped out on the head, but I'll get it back at some point, maybe...

I have only started the Weber engine from stone cold a few times, but it's a chore!

The Accelerator pumps just are NOT robust enough to help much!

The learning curve continues.

I DID play with the idle jets!

I put in the 60F8s.

Well, those got rid of the off idle flat spot!

They also made it run WAY rich, at low throttle, down at the bottom of the Wideband, at 9.0

It was too rich to idle, I didn't turn in the screws.

I put in some 50F9s, At least now it was not laying down at the bottom of the Wideband.

It would move around the 10s and 11s...

It still would not idle.

I put back the 45F4s only to wonder how in the world I ever put up with that BIG hole right off idle!

But it sure did idle sweet!

I put back the 50F9s and turned in the idle screws so it idles good, but it was still too rich at low throttle.

...Oh what Weber fun.....

DW

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
To bring WR followers up to date.

After Alcala ran the WR the weekend before, I replaced the chokes up to 34mm as recounted here:

https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/alpine-engine-power-limitations.30152/#post-221740

At the VARA BBB/LA Shelby Willow event, I was running the 125 mains and found it running too lean up

the front straight. I changed the mains to 130 only to have it run a bit rich.

It still had a flat spot off idle so I changed the accelerator nozzles from 40s to 45s.

That fixed the std flat spot, BUT, if you opened the throttle too fast, you still could get ahead of the fuel

flow and STALL out the engine.

This IS a problem bringing up the RPMs when down- shifting going into turn 3.

...that BIG heavy flywheel is no help with that, as well...

The one thing I did finally RE-learn is the 3.89 rear gears are JUST too tall to pull!!!

...at least with a lowly 1725....

I have Alcala's 4.55 pumpkin, but I'm leaning toward 4.22 as the next step.

And then recently, I ran the WR on the chassis Dyno here:

https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/alpine-chassis-dyno-pulls.30027/

I plan to put some mods in the 40 DCOEs, open up the Aux venturies and back cut the chokes before spending more time

working on the carb settings, for best A/F curve.

BTW, Best lap time Saturday was 1:52.208

On Sunday I turned up the wick in turn 9 and reduced the lap time to 1:51.694

And just for the record, My best lap time in the Love Bug Alpine was 1:52.879 , back in 2017

These lap times are right in the ball park of Alpine lap times turned back in the '60s,

When THINGS were Quite different!

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Current plans are to start 2022 events early by running the SVRA Fontana event Feb 5-6.

I'm hoping for decent weather.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ha! Our car is so close to assembly. But we are still waiting for a body part. And nothing can happen until we get it. Covid has been a real problem for it. Soon very soon.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
With rumors of PERMANENT closer of the Fontana Road course, I HAD to run the SVRA event!

For a change, RAIN was NOT in the forecast, but WIND was!

It was Windy Friday and Sunday but Saturday Was low wind.

Good for Record Alpine Lap times!

I didn't go out in the first practice session at 8 am because it was about 40 degrees!

I ran the first qualifying session and was THRILLED to hit 6000 RPM going into turn 1!

Before going to this event, I was temped to change the rear gears to 4.22 but decided not because it would have

changed my shift points in a bad way.

AND the Engine was just not pulling good above 5500.

BUT, at this day and time, all the stars were aligned for a good run!!

I knew I was going to set a new personal best Weekend Racer Alpine lap time at Fontana!

When I got the results, I was a bit surprised!

My previous best Weekend Racer lap was 2:26.4 back in Feb 2020

My NEW best lap IS 2:18.557

I knew the lap time was better...

But WOW, what a change!

Conditions were just about perfect!

There was one nagging issue, the engine was running a bit ragged at the top RPMs

The O2 was reading from 12.5 to 13.3 down the front straight, so carbs didn't seem the problem.

I concluded spark plugs were questionable, I was running Autolite 403.

The Sat afternoon race was a problem with a 3 car pile up in turn 3 coming off the big track into the infield.

It took several laps under yellow, run around the Big track only, before we got a few normal laps under green.

My best lap was 2:18.682

Every time we came around on yet another yellow lap, I was temped to call it a day and come in the pits.

But I stayed out there for 6 laps under yellow...!

BUT, it was a GOOD thing I stayed out. I took 2nd in FP class, and scored a Metal and Cap!

I was skeptical of finding any Race spark plugs at the usual parts houses on the shelf.

Then I remembered Tom's NASCAR plugs would fit.

And there just happened to be some good used ones in the Highland Stuff.

Autolite AR3932 RACING plus were the ticket!

They are one step up from the coldest conventional plugs in that line.

I was concerned about fouling them.

Sunday was windy so I had planned to skip the second qualifying session but now I needed to test the cold plugs.

The head wind down the front straight was an issue with the Alpine only hitting 5500 going into turn 1.

Clearly the engine was running better, it was ragged no more!

I was surprised the lap time was still 2:20.499

For the Sunday afternoon race, the SVRA Media dude suggested he put a camera on the Alpine.

Seeing I was low on Memory for my Gopro, I welcomed a chance of some decent video at Fontana.

I FAILED Gopro Start for the Sat race (BOOOO!).

We'll see IF any Alpine Video ends up in the SVRA social Media sites....

Sundays race had me grided second from last in front of one of the Vees I ran with 2 years ago.

At the start, I left the Vee in the dust but the rest of the cars pulled away slowly to leave me with a CLEAR track to myself!

... and the WIND, but the wind was down slightly from the morning.

I decide to give the plugs a good test, so ran the Alpine as consistent as I could.

I ran 5 laps in a row, of the 9 laps, at 2:19 with only a max deviation of .3 seconds.

My best was 2:19.685.

That run was the longest and hardest I had run the Alpine, so I was interested how it would hold up.

Toward the end of the race, the oil pressure had dropped a small bit from it's usual 75 PSI.

And in the turns at lower RPMs the pressure was down as well.

I NEED to put an Oil temp gauge in....

And with that FINNISH, I took 1st place in FP, and another metal and Cap!

...but it helps when your competition packs up and heads home early....

And no fouled plugs!

I looked up my times driving Tom's Love Bug Alpine.

I ran it twice at Fontana.

In 2017 I ran a best lap of 2:19.965

In 2018 I ran a best of 2:20.124

Both events were windy for the most part.

The Love Bug Alpine is quite different from the Weekend Racer.

No windshield and 4.09 gears are the biggest changes.

Tom Sakai ran his Tiger and collected a 3rd, Metal and Cap in BP on Sunday.

Good times in the Sunbeam camp!

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
You have to look close but the Weekend Racer is on the front Straight At Fontana, Maybe for the last time...

AlpineFontana20220205_101051.jpg

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
These are great reports. Thanks for sharing this.

And there in front of you seems to be some sort of sports racer - just like I was asking about.

And sorry for not being in the know about this, what's this about closing Fontana? Is that why they squeezed a 1/4 mile track inside the Coliseum? (that's a joke - I think). Both of my sons were there at the race. They said it was unbearable and unwatchable. Basically a circle of cars going round and round, nose to tail, with straight pipes filling and echoing in the stadium - making it so that they couldn't even hear their own voices no matter how loudly they yelled.

alpine_64

Donation Time
You have to look close but the Weekend Racer is on the front Straight At Fontana, Maybe for the last time...

View attachment 25452
Id think on a tighter circuit with shorter straights and some speed carrying corners you might be looking good Dan.
I know the WR ran the screen in the movie... But have you thought about going aeroscreen to reduce the turbulance and drag?
Or.. A hardtop de-guttered and with lexan side windows?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jay, that car is a 1987 Renault Spec Racer, a bit modern for Vintage.

Of more interest was a 1957 Lotus 11 Le Mans!

The Lotus was well driven but was involved in the Sat race cruncher.

My plan with the Weekend Racer is to keep it close to as it ran in 1967.

I may pop of the windshield at some point just to see what difference it makes.

Fontana is as it was made and could use some repaving to really make the road coarse nice,

But it's a LOT better than no track at all!

DW

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
After a fair amount of indecision Tom Sakai and I are up at Laguna seca SVRA
Event.

Currently it is raining but it is supposed to stop shortly...

My practice session starts in 10 minutes they're going to start without me.

Weather is supposed to clear up today, Friday, but be good the rest of the weekend.

For those Weekend Racer followers, SVRA is going to Livestream The event starting Saturday morning.

Rumor has It live streaming will be on the SVRA web page, youtube and Facebook.

However, I don't expect much if any video coverage, as I support the back of the grid