• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shift Linkage Woes

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a 2.8l V6 with a 4-speed.
Last week the shift stick broke about an inch or so above the fork.
Had to take shift linkages off to remove the shifter, and had it repaired.
But now after reassembling, for some reason, the shifting is very hard, only drove it a few hundred yards.
(FYI - I did tag the rods and shifter arms so they are in correct position.)

Does anyone have a 4-speed, and if so, maybe has pictures of the shift linkages connected up.
Sure would appreciate them.

Thanks in advance
Positraktion

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Which transmission do you have? By you post it seems you have external linkage.

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don’t know if this helps, the linkage is on a Capri 4-speed without the shifter(Shifter was sold but the arms left on). You may have a bent fork in the transmission.

Attachments

• B312DFAE-5A61-444F-B30D-0B7DB29DA63E.jpeg
    B312DFAE-5A61-444F-B30D-0B7DB29DA63E.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 37

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
Don’t know if this helps, the linkage is on a Capri 4-speed without the shifter(Shifter was sold but the arms left on). You may have a bent fork in the transmission.

Thanks for responding but the picture I need is of the shift linkages connecting to the shifter arms.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Connecting the shifter is pretty straight forward. You can google it and see videos of one.

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
Connecting the shifter is pretty straight forward. You can google it and see videos of one.
Well I received both ends of pictures......much appreciated.
But I would like to see the shift linkage connected to the shifter arms.
BTW- I've looked and looked, where would the video be?
Thanks in advance.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well I received both ends of pictures......much appreciated.
But I would like to see the shift linkage connected to the shifter arms.
BTW- I've looked and looked, where would the video be?
Thanks in advance.
There is probably not one specific to you transmission. But the process would be the same.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, I know very little about transmissions and have not heard of a Ford Type H, so I googled it. Everything I find says it has shifter linkage bolted onto the side. These pics seem to show a top mounted configuration. Note that I said "seem", not that they do.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, these photos do not line up. The O.P.'s photos show a tail piece that has an opening to accommodate a shifter and a hollow top rib for a shifter rod into the gearcase. All of the Type H photos show the tailpiece to have a solid top rib (not hollow) and lack a top opening. I may be wrong, but this is how I interpret what I see. It seems the type H mounts the sifter on the chassis. Not that I have a clue what the transmission might be, other than a single rod shifter. I think some photos of the side of the trans would be informative.

The type H is listed as a four banger trans and should not bolt onto a V6. I wonder if Positrakion has a transmission assembled from different, but obviously similar transmissions.
Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The OP didn’t include photos, but stated:

I read that the type H was used with the 2.6 and was still used on early MK2 Capris.
Don’t know. Just posting what I found. Trying to help.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
That looks like the trans that came out of my '74 Mustang II. 4 speed that had a bunch of trouble when that car
was relatively new.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a 2.8l V6 with a 4-speed.
Last week the shift stick broke about an inch or so above the fork.
But now after reassembling, for some reason, the shifting is very hard, only drove it a few hundred yards.

Does anyone have a 4-speed, and if so, maybe has pictures of the shift linkages connected up.
Sure would appreciate them.

Thanks in advance
Positraktion

What do you mean by shifting hard? If you didn’t change the adjustment on any of the rods, it shouldn’t change the way it shifts. Are there bushings in the linkage where it connects to the shifter? Is anything rubbing after you reinstalled the shifter? Did you hard shift when the shifter broke?

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the comments.
Upon closer inspection found that the mechanic installed one of the shifter rods backwards, thus causing it to hit on the other rods.
Shifts like butter now.
Cheers
George