• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 EFI

loose_electron

Donation Time
Very interesting Jim. The MegaSquirt people insist that everything go to the MegaSquirt, then grounded to the block. Rootes Racer insisted that everything terminate at the battery, the wheel goes 'round and 'round.

Bill
If all the sensors and wiring are on the block, you establish a common ground point at the block. Running supplemental wires back to the battery doesn't make sense.

If there's some documentation on this beast on line someplace?

Fergusonic

Donation Time
Here's an update on my progress with the Sniper:
One day I started it and the AFR shot up to 35.6 and in RED and it ran like crap. Holley Forum like-stories say it's a faulty WOB1 (or whatever) Sensor internally. I also noticed that my Volt gauge went from 14 to 12.8.
So I solved all of the problems like this: I Returned it for a Refund. and re-installed the Offy and 390 cfm ! Put a fork in me; I'm done.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like some strange crap going on, especially with the low voltage. Can't imagine what would cause the voltage irregularity. Maybe it was the low voltage causing the AFR problem. But still, it should run with 12.8 volts, that is normal battery voltage. You had another problem, the AFR sensor. A car will not run with the AFR's in the twenties, let alone high 30's.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Modern EFI has tables to compensate for injector opening and closing times that are supply voltage based. If the controller is messing up on its internal supply voltage measurement it will also supply an erroneous compensation to injector time.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Modern EFI has tables to compensate for injector opening and closing times that are supply voltage based. If the controller is messing up on its internal supply voltage measurement it will also supply an erroneous compensation to injector time.
But isn't low voltage compensated with increased injector open time? If so, that would lead to a rich condition. I know that missing can cause erroneous AFRs on the high side, but would the voltage compensation cause a programmed AFR of say 13.5 dip so low the engine would barely run?

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
But isn't low voltage compensated with increased injector open time? If so, that would lead to a rich condition. I know that missing can cause erroneous AFRs on the high side, but would the voltage compensation cause a programmed AFR of say 13.5 dip so low the engine would barely run?

Bill
Your logic is correct Bill but if the unit is malfunctioning all bets are off.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Ok folks got this 2.8 with the Sniper efi running today chased a few bugs needed to pay more attention to the Manuel all good now manifold mod works as planned tidy up the wiring a bit and done
IMG_20210320_152400947.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations, Joel! I'm looking forward to hearing how it compares when you have it all sorted. I am also curious about one thing: did you install a fuel return line, and if so, how did you do that?

mr.vman

Donation Time
As far as the TBI injection on stock intake. Sad turn of events having the unit shipped back to Holley. I am considering the 2 barrel TBI unit. Voltage change; Could it be a bad connection or connector causing a voltage drop (high resistance). Where is the voltage being measured? As already noted, grounds are always suspected problems. Consider checking for AC current out of Alternator (this is one of my basic checks when starting a drivability problem). Meter to volts AC, across battery terminals. Maximum AC voltage varies from manufacture. Anything over about .6 volt is too much. AC current will make a computer system do strange things. In other words, make the system stupid. A computer/ECM/ECU should be good for below 12 volts no problem. Really, should function down to around 10 to 11 volts. Fuel pressure and delivery (volume) (fuel filter) could also be a problem and should be checked. These are return fuel systems, unless otherwise noted (not sure if this system allows nonreturn fuel, pulse width fuel pump). The fuel return line needs to be 3/8 inch also. Hope this helps, looking forward to how the various TBI systems will do.
Steve V.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Congratulations, Joel! I'm looking forward to hearing how it compares when you have it all sorted. I am also curious about one thing: did you install a fuel return line, and if so, how did you do that?
You have to have a return line the pressure regulator in on the return,I ran an lines all the way from the tank thru the car on the passengers side(contrary to what the naysayers think) the fuel tank is a Mustang fuel injection tank with an in tank pump/filter there's a post filter at the firewall.IMG_20210320_171126832.jpg IMG_20210320_171612160.jpg