• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

engine out

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll be pulling the engine and transmission out this weekend. Seals need changing and other work.
Question is: Can the engine and trans' be pulled out together, or will they need to be separated.
Rad is out, head is off and on my shop bench, so seems like lots of room. I'll be using an engine hoist for the job.
Probably haven't done this to an Alpine SV for 30 years so I have forgotten.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'll be pulling the engine and transmission out this weekend. Seals need changing and other work.
Question is: Can the engine and trans' be pulled out together, or will they need to be separated.
Rad is out, head is off and on my shop bench, so seems like lots of room. I'll be using an engine hoist for the job.
Probably haven't done this to an Alpine SV for 30 years so I have forgotten.
Yes, they can be pulled together, and in some models, its pretty much the preferred way to get the trans out.
Just make sure you can alter the lift point easily so you can guide the trans out without damaging the lifted parts or the sheetmetal.

The lift point is usually a bolt or stud to the head so you may want to put the head back on or figure a way to lift from one of those 10 locations without stressing the bolt/stud or damaging the deck.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The lift point should be right above #1 cylinder (1st cyl from the front), and that will put the best angle on engine & tranny.
Jan

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll look to see where I can lift without the head on. May have to strap and choke it.

Moonstone

Donation Time

Two attach points were present on mine, it came out clean but had to be tilted to the limit of the jack screw on the engine leveler. Also, we removed the shifter cover of the tranny in order to clear the firewall. We had the benefit of a grease pit & man below to help guide the tranny cone.

Moonstone

Donation Time

Full tilt, about a 45-degree angle to extract. Got done in time to take Ralph & Emmitt out for burgers and beers on Valentine's Day.
Melinda/Moonstone, Fairbanks, Alaska.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor

Two attach points were present on mine, it came out clean but had to be tilted to the limit of the jack screw on the engine leveler. Also, we removed the shifter cover of the tranny in order to clear the firewall. We had the benefit of a grease pit & man below to help guide the tranny cone.

Yes full tilt, touch point's are the back of head (or in your case block) on the bulkhead and bottom of sump on radiator opening, looks pretty scary.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its worth buying a balance bar for the hoist.. You can tblhen adjust angle and pivot point.
Also apart from taking the trans shifter housing off dont forget the shift lever too.... Dont ask! :p

Without head and rocker cover you will have lots more clearance from firewall... But not sure where you will attach the chain.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Years ago I was pulling these engines a lot and to speed things up I made an engine lifting tool that is fastened to the head
Jan
This is the engine position that is needed:
19862-f2c3d4a1584aa6fab116eec3e8d1baf1.jpg

19863-2620aeb0616d0a98f0c7330e5cd9f7e2.jpg

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
As long as you can get your hands to the back of the engine to undo the top bellhousing bolts I find it is easier to separate the gearbox and lift out the engine on its own. Done this many times over the years, most recently last month. Especially if there is nothing wrong with the gearbox. No tilting of the engine is necessary - no worry about propshaft or oil leaking out the back of the gearbox. Just need to make sure the clutch plate is aligned before you try to put the engine back. You need to jack the bellhousing to match the engine pitch to ensure the gearbox and clutch mate properly. This usually takes a few minutes to get right.

Attachments

• Engine hoist.jpg
    Engine hoist.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 30

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
OK; I have the rear jacked up and on stands, the front wheels are lifted about 5 inches. so with the head already off ( in the basement, lapping valves and porting ). So I should be able to lift the engine from the alternator mount and engine to transmission bolt at the top right side.( photos attached). should be easy to get the lift angle right. Pulling the trans' with engine as the seals are leaking.

e IMG_2135.JPG IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2166.JPG

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Tim: when you buy too much red paint for the car, what the heck---paint the floor.:)
Car looks good, nice colour.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Motor and trans' came out just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2171.JPG