• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carpet Installation Question

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Folks,

I'm installing a SS carpet kit in my SV and the side pieces are vexing me.

When I have the edge of the carpet touching the floor, everything looks ok but I will need to trim about half of the carpet to get it under the sill plates. Is this normal? I don't want to start cutting without some confirmation.

IMG_3842.jpgIMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg IMG_3842.jpg

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I was in the same boat as you when installing my carpet last year.
Those pieces were the only ones I had to trim at all and I did have to trim a significant amount.
I think the further rearward I got, the more I had to trim.
I actually screwed my sills down on the uncut piece and then used the sill as a cutting guide.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a carpet set from SS waiting for install, so interested in hearing how this goes.

I've been told that originally there were cardboard (?) pieces along a portion of the door sill. They ran from the top edge of the door sill to the floor. I think having those in place might require more carpet than not having them. But based on your pictures, it looks like carpet trimming would still be needed. I'm guessing SS wanted to provide extra material to deal with variances in setups.

Mike

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a carpet set from SS waiting for install, so interested in hearing how this goes.

I've been told that originally there were cardboard (?) pieces along a portion of the door sill. They ran from the top edge of the door sill to the floor. I think having those in place might require more carpet than not having them. But based on your pictures, it looks like carpet trimming would still be needed. I'm guessing SS wanted to provide extra material to deal with variances in setups.

Mike
That was my thinking on the reason for the extra. My car does not have the cardboard you’re taking about. I did some research on those pieces on the forum before installing my carpet and the consensus from the members was that it really wasn’t needed and did not detract from the looks of the carpet to not have it.

‘My carpet didn’t come from SS but did come from Martha, so it would be her same.